Top Shelf Aquatics

Starting my first saltwater 20 gallon Long Rimless Mr. Aqua

iammrhappy123

iammrhappy123

Starting my very first saltwater fish tank.

I have about 8-10 years of freshwater experience with many large tanks and ponds.

I have a 1000 gallon pond in my backyard thats been running with a ton of FW fish and turtles etc. Easy peasy stuff.

Decided to join the saltwater community. I'm in way over my head, but eff it, I want to do this.

Been doing a ton of research and a lot of the terminology is foreign to me. The only thing that is famliar to me is the nitrogen cycle haha. But even then the factors in the promoting the saltwater nitrogen cycle is WAY different from the FW cycle. But the concept is the same.

I have several questions about where to start.

Goals: 2-3 livestock/3 clean up crew/and 1 RBTA for the first year. Maybe look into a Torch LPS later in the year. Sumpless for now.

I am going to buy Mr. Aqua's 20 gallon Long Rimless Tank

Dimensions: 36L x 12W x 12H - looks sexy as hell.

Equipment Questions:

1) I am deciding if I should go with:

- interal protein skimmer

or

- HOB Aqua Clear 70 + DIY media basket for a mini refugium (~$90)

or

- Eheim 2213 canister (found a deal for ~$60) - maybe not due to concerns of nitrate factory?

I'm interested in running both an internal skimmer and the HOB/media basket set up

Biological Filtration/ Water Chemistry

2) How often should I be doing water changes with a tank of this size? What percentage of water changes?

I heard that Water change frequency and size depends on what type of mechanical filtration I use.

What are your thoughts?

3) Can you guys suggest a decently price and effective RODI system? I have one for drinking water, but I know that isn't suitable for aquarium environments. I also have access to a ultra pure Deionized water machine at the hospital I work at, but that seems inconvienient. I'm not even sure if I could use that water. Anyone know?

Lighting

4) If I only have 2-3 fish/3 clean up crew/1 RBTA, what type of lighting should I invest in?

I'm currently looking at the Current USA Orbit LED system.

Sorry for the long post. I have so many more questions, but I'll continue to look on the forums for that info.

Thanks in advanced for your help and advice!

nanolutionary

I'd go with a HOB skimmer - maybe even hang on side depending on where you can get the eyesore minimised.

10% water changes will be sufficient especially with a protein skimmer.

4 stage ro/di is best, not sure where abouts you are but will be much cheaper than shop bought water.

I think go big on the lighting - those lights look cool.

iammrhappy123

I'd go with a HOB skimmer - maybe even hang on side depending on where you can get the eyesore minimised.

10% water changes will be sufficient especially with a protein skimmer.

4 stage ro/di is best, not sure where abouts you are but will be much cheaper than shop bought water.

I think go big on the lighting - those lights look cool.

Thanks for the reply!

How often should I be doing 10% water changes? Weekly I'm assuming? Can I stretch to bi weekly?

I'm currently in Los Angeles, California, USA. Do you have a system brand you can recommend? My budget for that will be around 100 Dollars ~66 pounds.

In your opinion, am I putting too much livestock in this nano?

Thanks again!

iammrhappy123

IMO, get either the Refurbished Spectrapure 4 Stage, or the new Chloramine Removal 5 Stage. Even if you don't have Chloramines I'd say it's worth it for the extra stage.

Regarding filters, I would personally get the Canister. With good upkeep it isn't a nitrate factory. Then get Lily Pipes and a PicO skimmer, you would be set up pretty well like that.

Thanks for the suggestions. I'm looking at the Spectrapure 4 stage right now.

I got the person to go down to 40 for the Eheim. I think I'm going to go with it. And get Lily pipes as well.

As far as the canister, what kind of filters would you put in the column?

Thanks again!

Cencalfishguy56

Thanks for the suggestions. I'm looking at the Spectrapure 4 stage right now.

I got the person to go down to 40 for the Eheim. I think I'm going to go with it. And get Lily pipes as well.

As far as the canister, what kind of filters would you put in the column?

Thanks again!

Current just came out with the pro series literally the other day seems like a pretty sustainable light for anything in my opinion

Archived