inTank Media Baskets

Cyanobacteria bloom!

MrLang

Before anyone suggests this - I read a lot of threads on this already but wanted a sanity check and clarification on when I should really get concerned.

My tank is around 4 months old. I stocked it fairly early with corals, all of which are doing great. I have been doing 20-25% water changes weekly. I just added 2 fish a little less than a month ago- a tailspot blenny and an ocellaris clown.

20g long

AC70 with Chemipure Elite and floss

Jebao RW-4 for flow on W1 mode

Coralife PC 50/50 24" with 65w 10k 65w actinic

Parameters all in line - light has been on 11 hrs a day, now 9 hours a day

Feeding 1/5-1/4 cube spirulina brine and a small pinch of new life spectrum pellets daily at first, now every other day

Since I stocked the fish I have had cyanobacteria slowly taking over. First it was just a few patches in a lower flow area and now it's really starting to cover things. It has created a thick mat along the sand in about 1/4 of the tank bed and crept off the original rock to start growing on the others.

3 questions:

- Is there anything else I should be doing to get it under control? I dropped the light back to 9 hours and dropped feeding to once every other day and in a smaller amount. I also just ordered Dr Fosters & Smith Special Blend. I also plan to keep the water changes at 20% and do them every 5 days instead of 7.

- At what point do I really need to go crazy with trying to control this? In a few spots it has started to grow on the underside of my paly heads and is approaching a couple of colonies of zoas. How far is far enough to where I need to start deconstructing the tank to manually remove it? I am using a baster to suck up what I can but it's tricky to get it off in all but the thickest spots.

-What is your experience with anyone eating this stuff? The internet has very mixed reviews. I've noticed my cerith snails tilling the sand but it's not clear to me if they are actually eating it or just turning the sand over.

Thanks in advance!

Am I reacting right to this?

You can increase the flow and point a power head at the areas where the cyanobacteria is most prevalent. Try siphoning as much of it as you can. Some people have very fine sand, and it can be a pain because you will siphon sand with the cyanobacteria. Use your judgement on that. How are your phosphate and nitrate levels? Manual removal is always the safest and the fastest, and then it is a matter of keeping your nutrients under control. Also consider adding Dr. Tim's waste away and Eco Balance for bacterial diversity.

A 3 day lighting blackout really helps. I have been doing 3 days on and 3 days off for the last few weeks to combat my bloom. Waterflow is also key as is a good skimmer. Also try to limit the natural light from a window hitting the tank for example.

Be careful with anti-microbial solutions like chemi-clean and hydrogen peroxide. They are both oxidizers and they both will kill beneficial bacteria, too. They are probably better left when you don't have another solution to try first.

You can increase the flow and point a power head at the areas where the cyanobacteria is most prevalent. Try siphoning as much of it as you can. Some people have very fine sand, and it can be a pain because you will siphon sand with the cyanobacteria. Use your judgement on that. How are your phosphate and nitrate levels? Manual removal is always the safest and the fastest, and then it is a matter of keeping your nutrients under control. Also consider adding Dr. Tim's waste away and Eco Balance for bacterial diversity.

I think this (quoted above) is the best recommendation. BioDigest seems to work as well for a bacteria source. You should also have a turkey baster in your arsenal which is all I've ever used when cyano bugs me too much. Newer tanks just have to work through all these little issues before a nice balance is achieved. IMO.

I never cut back on feedings, if anything I start feeding more. Feed heavy, export frantically. :D

Thanks for all the input. I found a great thread on reefcleaners that suggested the blackout periods. The room I have the tank in has blackout curtains so I killed the light today. Going to keep it off for 3 days and then do a 25% WC since the dying cyano will probably release more nutrients into the water.

I'm looking to avoid chemical solutions, especially since the tank is only 4 months old. I want the beneficial bacteria to outcompete the cyano - hence the reluctance on chemicals and also the addition of the SPECIAL BLEND.

I'm going to reposition the powerhead on the other side of the tank as well.. to see if I can get the bad corner under control. Hopefully that doesn't just bring it all to the other end of the tank!!

It has been less than 48 hours and 80% of the cyano is gone. I know it will probably spring right back but this seems like a great short term fix until the system matures and beneficial bacteria balance or outcompete it.

Will update

Archived