ReefCleaners.org

Zoa Eating Nudi Help!

itsyahboydanny

itsyahboydanny

So last night I found a zoa eating nudi on a new zoa frags I got, I quickly removed it and scraped off anything else I saw on the frag, I'm worried now because most of my zoas are attached to the Rock and grown over, onto my one massive piece of LR. I read this on another forum, is this a bad idea to do with my one rock that's 90% of my LR?

"I have dealt with them twice. Get some coralRX, a five gal bucket and a maxi jet or another powerhead with a jet stream style output. Mix up your SW and you coral Rx and put the rock with the zoa's on it in the bucket, let it soak per the directions. Let the powerhead circulate the water for a bit and then blast the heck out of the rock and zoa's with the powerhead. It won't bother the zoa's any since they will be closed up anyways but you should be able to eradicate them like this. If this fails, do it again in a couple weeks. Manually pull out what you can for now until you can dip them. Good luck, those little bastards suck. I know coral Rx works since they say it kills nudi's per their website but not sure of the other products. Some didn't list that they did so I stuck with the coral Rx. "

SPS/Zoa dominant 20g tall, 10g sump, BM 3.5 skimmer, MP10W, 78watts of custom LED Power!!

Something to keep in mind is that the eggs are virtually indestructible. Whatever you do you will need to do 3-4 times in 7-10 day intervals for real eradication.

Flat worm exit works at 2-4X strength. Picking with tweezers is a good idea as well...using a black light at night helps as well, as they fluoresce the color of the zoathids they are eating.

Look around at various threads...including my 2G for some practical experience and advice.

Good luck. Just requires patience and a little knowledge.

itsyahboydanny

Something to keep in mind is that the eggs are virtually indestructible. Whatever you do you will need to do 3-4 times in 7-10 day intervals for real eradication.

Flat worm exit works at 2-4X strength. Picking with tweezers is a good idea as well...using a black light at night helps as well, as they fluoresce the color of the zoathids they are eating.

Look around at various threads...including my 2G for some practical experience and advice.

Good luck. Just requires patience and a little knowledge.

Thanks for the advice! Do you think it's safe to dip my rock like that?

You might want to try blasting out the nooks and crannies using the dip water and a turkey baster too. It seems most of these are good at disappearing like a ninja when they sense a disturbance in the force. Bring the fight to them :)

I've heard a few success stories from friends and on the interwebs with Revive and the Zoa eating Nudibranchs. I've not tried it myself, so take that with a grain of salt. I am also not sure if it works on the other varieties of Nudis, but I assume it would. Perhaps you could alternate between CoralRX and Revive for a more broad spectrum approach?

itsyahboydanny

You might want to try blasting out the nooks and crannies using the dip water and a turkey baster too. It seems most of these are good at disappearing like a ninja when they sense a disturbance in the force. Bring the fight to them :)

I've heard a few success stories from friends and on the interwebs with Revive and the Zoa eating Nudibranchs. I've not tried it myself, so take that with a grain of salt. I am also not sure if it works on the other varieties of Nudis, but I assume it would. Perhaps you could alternate between CoralRX and Revive for a more broad spectrum approach?

I actually have some revive and coral rx pro that I haven't even used. I've only seen the one, should I go ahead and dip the rock or wait to see if I picked him off in time?

I actually have some revive and coral rx pro that I haven't even used. I've only seen the one, should I go ahead and dip the rock or wait to see if I picked him off in time?

My only concern with that is if there was one and it was an adult.. there may be more(could already be more that you just haven't seen). The major bummer part about dipping the whole rock is that you will likely lose a fair amount of other microfauna and good hitchhikers (like mini brittles, bristleworms, pods). It's really up to you. I think I would be inclined to do as you said, and just wait and see how things go. Then use the nuclear option as a last resort.

itsyahboydanny

My only concern with that is if there was one and it was an adult.. there may be more(could already be more that you just haven't seen). The major bummer part about dipping the whole rock is that you will likely lose a fair amount of other microfauna and good hitchhikers (like mini brittles, bristleworms, pods). It's really up to you. I think I would be inclined to do as you said, and just wait and see how things go. Then use the nuclear option as a last resort.

Another scary thing is I got 6 frags of zoas from that guy, maybe I should dip all his frags today

itsyahboydanny

I think I would definitely dip the frags just to be safe. You may even want to visually inspect them out of water for eggs.

Here are a couple good pics of their eggs just for reference:

Souce: Zoaid.comhttp://www.zoaid.com/index.php?module=Gallery2&g2_itemId=59442jecj0i.jpg

Source: Pacific East Aquaculturehttp://www.pacificeastaquaculture.com/reef-pest-control.aspzoanudieggcase.jpg

Awesome, thank you guys for the advice! I'll dip the frags today and I'll keep this thread updated on what happens

In the future you might want to setup a small tank to house new frags in for a while. Doesn't need to be anything fancy. Might minimize your risk of just putting frags right into your display. I know many people say they don't have room, but honestly everyone could spare enough room for a small quarantine tank, but most of us have good luck 90% of the time so we become lazy. All it takes is that 1 frag to ruin everything and a lot of $$.

In the future you might want to setup a small tank to house new frags in for a while. Doesn't need to be anything fancy. Might minimize your risk of just putting frags right into your display. I know many people say they don't have room, but honestly everyone could spare enough room for a small quarantine tank, but most of us have good luck 90% of the time so we become lazy. All it takes is that 1 frag to ruin everything and a lot of $$.

+1 to this. I think petco(if you have one nearby) is doing a dollar per gallon sale right now. You could pick up a 5 gallon for $5, cheap HOB.. you are set for quarantine.

Archived