Cultivated Reef

Phosguard in 5 gallon?

cswan19

I have been having some problems in my tank with algae and believe it is because of my phosphates. I picked up some phosguard that comes pre-bagged. It says the bag treats 30 gallons but my tank is only 5 gallons. Can I just throw the whole bag in even though my tank is small? Or do I need to re-bag it in smaller bags? If so, how much should I use? Thanks :)

I would re-bag it because the stuff is pretty strong. I would use 1/6 of the bag.

Using Phosguard may not get rid of your algae. It will get rid of the phosphate in the water column, but a lot of hair algae comes from the phosphate in the rock it's growing on.

I had already rinsed it as a full bag then read these posts and broke it down to about 1/6 of it in a bag. My question now is: Since it was already wet is the stuff that isn't in my tank no good? Or can it dry and be used again in the future if I ever need it?

Cencalfishguy56

I had already rinsed it as a full bag then read these posts and broke it down to about 1/6 of it in a bag. My question now is: Since it was already wet is the stuff that isn't in my tank no good? Or can it dry and be used again in the future if I ever need it?

I took mine out and it dried and just recently popped it back in today still like new lol

Archived