Pod Your Reef

What beneficial fish/inverts for 20g SPS

Grath

Hi everyone,

My new 20g aio tank is not many weeks from it´s first livestock (i hope).

My goal is a SPS dominated reef.

I would think 2-3 fish would be my maximum.? (maybe even more, if we are talking small fish in a SPS reef.?)

What would be good fish to put in the tank...

I would like it to be beneficial inhabitants to the SPS and the tank in general.

I have a 1 inch sandbed, so thinking of a sandshifter of some kind.

I´ve fallen in love with the Purple Firefish (Nemateleotris decora), so if possible, that would go in the tank.

Also would like 2-3 sexy shrimps in there.

Any advice is very appreciated.

Wow not a single answer...

I learned on another forum, that the Sexy shrimp may be a bad choice in a sps nano, and also learned that most shrimps really is a no go if the main focus is the corals.

Maybe the Peppermint shrimp would be okay though.

It would be awesome if someone with nano sps reef experience could chime in, and give me some advice on stocking my 20 gallon.

The main priority is the sps corals.

Maybe no fish at all.? Maybe just 1 fish and a crab or a peppermint shrimp.?

well its easter time so you know..people are busy but i was looking for same answer :) and i will definetly go for pepermint shrimp

If doing SPS only the peppermint might be ok, but with zoas and LPS they can be a PITA . I had 4 of them and they wiped out my aiptasia problem and then moved to zoas. Sexys will much on coral if they aren't fed regularly. Why not something cool like pederson shrimp ?

peppermints are boring and hide a lot during the day if you didn't already know that.

For a sand sifter, use some Nass snails, maybe a pistol shrimp. For a fish, a possum or pink streak wrasse will eat parasites on clams, and flatworms.

I have two Penderson's that are amazing! The host my elegance too! Def get a couple:) Wrasse's are tricky...there's only one I really trust for a smaller setup...and that's the Pink Streaked Wrasse.

I have 4 sexy shrimp in my 36 gallon and, while they may munch on coral a bit, I have never seen any detriment to any corals in the tank.

A diamond goby will keep the sandbed spotless.

I would not put a diamond goby in a 20 with a 1 inch sand bed. It'd be out of food in no time. I have an 85 and 2 to 3 inches of sand and I have to baste food in front of his burrow. He turns over all the sand in the 85 (48 inches in length) in about a day and a half.

sorry to hijack, anyone have a good source for pink streaked wrasse? Been wanting one for my six gallon and to take care of some of these amphipods.

sorry to hijack, anyone have a good source for pink streaked wrasse? Been wanting one for my six gallon and to take care of some of these amphipods.

Live aquaria typically has them

I would not put a diamond goby in a 20 with a 1 inch sand bed. It'd be out of food in no time. I have an 85 and 2 to 3 inches of sand and I have to baste food in front of his burrow. He turns over all the sand in the 85 (48 inches in length) in about a day and a half.

I have the same thought.

I don´t think i´ll be adding a goby to this tank.

I´m down to the Purple firefish, some cuc and a pederson shrimp.

The pink streaked wrasse is also an option.

Thank you, that kinda takes care of the shrimp.

I´m not sure about a wrasse, as they tend to be aggressive.?

Possum or pink streak wrasse are very peaceful.

A diamond goby will keep the sandbed spotless.

Then starve.... hey get too large anyways, plus they have a bad reputation for dying in aquariums.

Archived