Cultivated Reef

'Ello

Sarr_Cat

Well, I think I've spent enough time lurking on here already... might as well join, as I'm interested enough! No, I don't have a nano reef of my own... or even a saltwater tank. I have kept small freshwater tanks before, mostly bettas and small planted tanks. I got a 5.5 gal. at a garage sale a little while ago, and while I would love to make it into a nano reef... I really don't trust myself to keep 5.5 gallons of saltwater chemically stable enough to be worth attempting reef keeping in, given that I have no saltwater experience whatsoever! Sure, I "know" a lot, from reading books, from the forums, all kinds of stuff, but without experience, that won't do me much good. I think if/when I eventually get started myself, it'll be with something in the 10-40 gallon range. In the meantime, I can have a nice mini planted tank in that 5.5.

Oh, yeah, hi by the way!

~Sarr ∑:3

porkchop-rob

Well, I think I've spent enough time lurking on here already... might as well join, as I'm interested enough! No, I don't have a nano reef of my own... or even a saltwater tank. I have kept small freshwater tanks before, mostly bettas and small planted tanks. I got a 5.5 gal. at a garage sale a little while ago, and while I would love to make it into a nano reef... I really don't trust myself to keep 5.5 gallons of saltwater chemically stable enough to be worth attempting reef keeping in, given that I have no saltwater experience whatsoever! Sure, I "know" a lot, from reading books, from the forums, all kinds of stuff, but without experience, that won't do me much good. I think if/when I eventually get started myself, it'll be with something in the 10-40 gallon range. In the meantime, I can have a nice mini planted tank in that 5.5.

Oh, yeah, hi by the way!

~Sarr ∑:3

I started with a 6 gallon nano....No big deal.

Get you a AC 20 HOB filter, some good live rock, a light, and a heater.

Just cycle the tank and get some small clean up crew for the first little while.....There is so much to see and learn and experience with your first tank. Put it somewhere comfortable, cause you will spend hours staring at rocks and sand looking for little pods and feather dusters and sponges!

And.......Hello!

Nothing wrong with starting a tank that size. Invest in a good hang on back filter, some live rock, sand, light, heater, and get it going. A nano that size is a good starting point, start up costs are going to be lower and you can really get the hang of things before jumping to a larger tank.

Caulpera is a nice algae for planted, red macroalgaes are good also but can have sort of a macro meltdown when they are not happy, there are many other great algaes for a planted tank :)

Thanks for the war welcome everybody!

Hmm... I guess it would be possible, and I was planning, if I would set up that tank, something along the lines of that which has been suggested, putting a HOB on the 5.5, and converting it to a reefugium with Calupera or Chaeto. I'll consider it though... Oh, and there is one coral I'm dead set on having, Caulastraea. How easy are those?

They require decent lighting, but they are relatively easy to keep. For a 5.5 gallon tank, a PAR LED bulb would be adequate.

Archived