Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Looking for something unique for my 5.5gal. . . ideas?

petefish

Hello, I have recently reconfigured my apartment to work from home, and when I set up my desk I realized it clearly needs a tank on it. I uncovered a 5.5 gallon tank that was once used as a quarantine tank I and turns out I have all the equipment I need to turn it into a pico reef. I am already running a 20 gallon SPS dominant reef as well as a 30 gallon puffer tank. I'd like the 5.5 gallon to have its own personality, so I'm looking for something unique. I'm not necessarily set on a fish, but really want something entertaining, as I will be spending a lot of time staring at this one. Suggestions? Thanks!

Well if you want some movement, which would probably add a little more enjoyment and entertainment to staring at it, go with soft corals or if you can, I say some really nice gorgonians like blueberry gorgonians, but they are hard to keep, which might be hard in an office. You can also maybe keep a clown goby and two trimma gobies for some entertainment. Clown gobies are fun to watch.

Medusa Worm and Emperor Shrimp for Sale:

If you are' brave enough. IMHO super cool and definitely rare.

Now that's awesome!!! I would love to do something really out there like that. I've been thinking of maybe a mantis shrimp, but not sure if the tank would be too small, or the glass too thin. very cool video, and something I've never seen before. thanks for the post!!

Glad you liked it. I agree. It is amazing. I mean the ocean world.

You can try this combo. Easier and perfect for your tank size.

Snapping Shrimp defends Anemone:

Markburns43

Dont stick your fingy in there. it is amazing the relationships between different species to help each other survive. The medusa worm and shrimp really are sweet

The snapping shrimp and anemone are definitely something I would consider. I have a good light for the tank that I believe would be fine for an anemone. has anyone kept an anemone in a tank so small? I'm somewhat concerned about how sensitive it may be to the inevitably fluctuating parameters in such a small tank. anyone have any experience or input here?

I had my curlique anemone in 6g for a while without issue. Snapping shrimp died after a while for unknown reason.Nem got moved to larger tank. It isn't really in need for high intensity light but supplemental feeding is recommended. Make sure ot is red snapping pistol tho. They are know to live in symbiotic relationship with curlique anemones.

Top off your tank daily with weekly water changes and you won't have any problems.

Archived