Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Palytoxin effects?

The Aquarist

Palytoxin is very dangerous - it is one of THE MOST LETHAL non-peptide toxins known. Do not play around with it. There is no actual treatment in humans other than supportive treatment and hoping that the dosage received is not going to be lethal. The symptoms people get are brutal and it's not a painless death.

If you have ANY concerns, your life and the lives of your loved ones are way more important than the palys in your tank. Get rid of them if there is any question.

Do NOT boil any rocks. Take the corals off the rocks you want, and then chuck the rock with the palys. Don't even try and save it. It's not worth it. You can always add more rock. You can't come back to life.

I think i'm in the minority but i actually like these and have had no problems with them in my tank. I have mine in a place with low light and on a rock with no place for expansion.. so far so good. Mine are right under the shadow of a big frogspawn and it seems that sometimes they're the ones that get the worst of the chemical warfare :)

I personally don't like the browns either but if you do like them, I say go for it but just be careful! You could like mentioned just get some pallys that are super colorful. I have many colonies of those in my tank along with green button polyps and zoanthids. I keep a mixed reef with clams, SPS, and gorgonians, these are all very sensitive and I have had zero chemical warfare problems. I have even had my tuxedo urchin pull some off to carry around without them nuking my tank. I took them from him after a week so he wouldn't drop them somewhere I do not want haha. Like I said earlier I run carbon to absorb anything that is released. I have not had mine drop of rocks and appear somewhere else either. Mine stay on their island. I often frag the pally's and have made good money off them. Same with the zoanthids. I don't regret my button polyps as they are green but they are not my favorite coral either. they are neutral.

Polarcollision

My cat drank water out of the sink I dumped paly frag water down before I could get a free hand to rinse it. She was sick for 3 weeks, but made a full recovery. Other than that, I haven't had any issues with them. Know what precautions to take, always respect the dangers, and you'll be fine.

There are more colorful types that you wont regret taking over your tank though.

Wait you guys dont eat your zoas? They taste like skittles?

I like to give them butterfly kisses before munching on em..

Polarcollision

Ha! Hey guys, coming from a medical background, I'd hate for a gullible person to read this and get the wrong idea

Ha! Hey guys, coming from a medical background, I'd hate for a gullible person to read this and get the wrong idea

I would hope someone wouldn't be that gullible, although I did forget to use the sarcasm font.

the point is that as long as you handle them with a little common sense there's nothing to worry about. don't boil them, don't rub your eyes after fragging, wear safety glasses when fragging, if you have sensative skin wear gloves if not make sure and wash your hands after, etc. and safety glasses are really smart because they like to squirt when you frag them, and they aim for the eyes every time.

they're not going to poison you by sticking your hand in the tank, they're not going to attack you in the night, they won't poison your tank, etc., there is no reason to worry so much. just use a little common sense and treat everything in your tank with the respect it deserves.

as far as the paly's being brown, yeah sure they're ugly compared to many of the bright colored morphs out there but some people like them and there's nothing wrong with that.

I was always more concerned with washing my hands (no soap) before I put them into the tank.

I was always more concerned with washing my hands (no soap) before I put them into the tank.

Darn double post

so I know about the toxin but I went anyways and fragged my button polyp colony without gloves and I had a cut on my pinkie and a open blister on my thumb but nothing happened to me

so I know about the toxin but I went anyways and fragged my button polyp colony without gloves and I had a cut on my pinkie and a open blister on my thumb but nothing happened to me

I have fragged zoanthids without gloves too. I don't anymore because I feel its better safe than sorry. I have never been poisoned by anything in my tank. But I now do take safety precautions it's worth the extra time.

I like to give them butterfly kisses before munching on em..

I almost pissed my pants...

To everyone else... I hope you are not that stupid. But we have some dumb people in this world. But the way that I look at it, step over the dead bodies.

Be Safe!

Update, I got those brown palys exchanged for a purple and green montipora frag.

Well that's a bit of a jump...

Please don't give up on Paly's/Zoa's though. They're far too pretty to ignore.

Now I am worried about my brown/green paly things too :(

But I must say that the montipora should look great :) pretty choice in my humble opinion

I have had the same brown palys in my tank since about 2007 with no I'll effects, to the tank, my pets or me. Yes, be wise but they are fine if you respect them.

CronicReefer

I find it verry interesting how we buy/sell/trade such a lethally toxic substance because it's contained inside a pretty little coral. I love my zoas/palys btw, they add such nice diversity of color to the tank and as long as your not fragging in your tank or carelessly I doubt you really have anything to worry about.

the fact we have such toxic animals in tanks make me so surprised marine aquariums have not been banned as unsafe for children. Crazy world we live in. I find part of the attraction for me is to have such toxic critters. They are absolutely gorgeous <3

Update, I got those brown palys exchanged for a purple and green montipora frag.

I hate to tell you but, the purple and green montis contain a toxin also.... :D

Archived