Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Identification Assistance: White root-ish thing on live rock

ReefWeeds

This is growing on a LR I have. Initially I thought it was just die off of some sort of macro algae but noticed today it has actually gotten larger - and whiter. It isn't moving, which I've been looking for as I thought at first it was some sort of worm. Any ideas?

post-87057-0-24340900-1423926544_thumb.jpg

Hello. Whatever that is, looks interesting. If it were a worm, I'd say it's a spaghetti worm, but seeing as it's right next to the Halimeda plant it could be a Halimeda root...any chance of a close-up?

Hello. Whatever that is, looks interesting. If it were a worm, I'd say it's a spaghetti worm, but seeing as it's right next to the Halimeda plant it could be a Halimeda root...any chance of a close-up?

could be the holdfast,

All the halimeda I've seen has been in the sand and not on a rock. I'm with TheElysia and suspect that it is just the root system of the halimeda.

That's pretty big for a holdfast!? If it is one, touch it, is it quite firm like the halmedia?

it has almost tripled in size in a week! It is firm, but not as firm as the halmedia. It feels like roots and isn't moving so I'm pretty sure it is organic and not live like a worm or something.

Interesting that the holdfast is no growing near any surface and that the holdfast is growing more rapidly than the actual thallus of the algae. Usually the thallus grows more as it contains everything needed for growth whereas the holdfast is simply a structure to keep the algae in place.

Interesting that the holdfast is no growing near any surface and that the holdfast is growing more rapidly than the actual thallus of the algae. Usually the thallus grows more as it contains everything needed for growth whereas the holdfast is simply a structure to keep the algae in place.

The Halimeda hasn't grown much, if not at all and the white things are taking off. Really weird. I couldn't find any photos online and my research came up empty as to exactly what the heck this was! At first I thought it was some dangerous algae type thing. Well, at first I actually thought it was dead algae until it started getting bigger. And it is growing on the end towards the water column, exactly what you said - not into a structure or substrate.

It actually looks like fungal hyphae to me... Hard to say exactly what it is, so it's hard to know if it's good or bad. If you aren't set on keeping the halimeda, I'd remove the whole piece.

Marine fungi though uncommon in our tanks can be found, its unlikely it is a damaging species.

Honestly i n my opinion I would keep watching it and not damage it, maybe its some new species? Who knows?

Well, I removed it! But not after detaching it from the rock and dropping it - only to have it tumble in the tank. I'm hoping I didn't spread some weird kind of marine fungus all throughout my tank with the tumble :(

Noooooooooooooo!! it could have been something entirely new, it could have been something marvelous, the unfathomable potential. Think of what it could have been, what it could have done.

Noooooooooooooo!! it could have been something entirely new, it could have been something marvelous, the unfathomable potential. Think of what it could have been, what it could have done.

I know, I know. But it had grown a LOT over the past couple days. Too big! It freaked me out and I finally cut it off. once it was out of the water, it almost felt sponge-like.

it sure did look pretty cool though.

It did! I had a hard time actually getting myself to take it out. I loved the white/blueish color.

Keep us posted, BTW how did you remove and dispose it?

Well, I used some tong snipper things, snipped the base of the halimeda stalk and lost the cutting so it went flying around the tank! I forgot to turn off the pump. Then put it in a plastic bag in the fridge since i wanted to see what it looked like after it dried out a bit.

Is it still in the fridge?

I just checked and no :( My husband thought I had an empty ziplock with a paper towel in it and chucked it. I wanted to keep it for a bit so I could figure out for sure what it was. And I know this post is totally going to depress you :)

I just checked and no :( My husband thought I had an empty ziplock with a paper towel in it and chucked it. I wanted to keep it for a bit so I could figure out for sure what it was. And I know this post is totally going to depress you :)

true kinda depressing, just remember innocent till proven guilty :)

Amphipod maybe we should send you weird things we dont want in our tanks? Id bet it be neat to see what people send to you.....

lol my dad would kill me, mom would not care. My parents have given me a rule also never give my address online, I guess it can be for my benifit, but that excludes any mailing abilities for me. At least its only around 2 years I have to wait till 18

Then it will be pests pests and more pests for me lol

Archived