Top Shelf Aquatics

Hacking a "PC fan control LCD panel"

Sailfish

Hi!

I'm just playing with the idea of making a peltier aquarium cooler, putting it in an old computer case. Then hooking up some sensors to show in-water temp, out-water temp, radiator fan speed and heatsink temp etc.

To keep the build slick, it would be nice to have a LCD display that fits perfectly into a standard 5.25" drive bay. Taa-daa: http://www.ebay.com/itm/5-25-drive-bay-computer-pc-fan-speed-controller-CPU-fan-speed-controller-/281579498346?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item418f722b6a

Is it possible to hack this module and use the LCD for what I just mentioned, do you think? :)

Mr. Microscope

Pretty sweet looking display, especially for $10. It could probably be done. I have no expertise to help you though. Perhaps, Ben might know how to rig something up like this.

jedimasterben

Is the peltier block made of titanium or platinum (or something inert, like ABS)? If not, I wouldn't run water from my reef through it.

Pretty sweet looking display, especially for $10. It could probably be done. I have no expertise to help you though. Perhaps, Ben might know how to rig something up like this.

That is what I thought too :D

Is the peltier block made of titanium or platinum (or something inert, like ABS)? If not, I wouldn't run water from my reef through it.

I'm actually thinking of sandwiching the peltier between two water blocks, with some thermal compound between. Aquarium water through the water block in contact with the cold side of the peltier, and radiator liquid (separate loop with reservoir) through the water block in contact with the hot side of the peltier. This way it is the water block, rather then the peltier that has to handle the saltwater.

Wouldn't a normal aluminum water block be fine? Many use aluminum oxide as a filter media to remove phosphate and silicate, instead of GFO. :)

Do you know of any other liquids that conduct heat more effectively than water, that I could use in the radiator loop?

You'd have to build a new circuit I suspect. It looks like it has 1 temp connector and 1 fan control connector.

I was wondering if the LCD panel in itself is blank, and that I can signal it to say or show whatever I want, or if the panel is only able to show the digits and illustrations in the same size and color that is pictured in the add. You know what I mean? :)

If I need to build a new circuit, that would also be fun. I have just fallen in love with my soldering station. Not to smart when you're in 4th. year medical school :P

From the look of it (basing myself on the 4th image with the legend on it) the LCD panel isn't blank.
Now even if it were a blank LCD then keep in mind the electronics included only seem to support 1 temp probe and only one fan, so you'll want a custom board if you want to monitor more.
To then drive the LCD you'll then need a pin out schematic to be able to connect it to your own electronics.

Now I'm basing myself from a few images and the limited specs listed (no brand and type) but IMO it's not worth it, it would end up costing a lot of time and effort for a likely disappointing result.

SpencerShepard

Hacking a display like that is not a trivial thing. I think you could find a PC fan controller that would do exactly what you need though.

Hmm, good points guys!
I will see if I can find a ready-made fan controller that will do the job out-of-the box :)

I'm thinking of using this peltier, this water block (for hot and cold sides of peltier), and this water block (together with 2X120mm fans, as the radiator).

Is this a go or no go do you guys think? :)

I know this thread is supposed to be about hacking a LCD display, but it seems a bit like spam to make a new thread just about this. :P

The reason why I started to think about this was because I saw that chiller, like 3 hours ago :lol:

It looks really good for the price, and the reviews seem to back that up.

Still, I think my project can be cheaper in total and should have the ability to chill much more volume of water and/or capacity of causing greater temp. difference, then the CSXC-1. The fan on the radiator of CSXC is small compared to the 2x120mm radiator in this project.

The greatest question for this project to continue is if it will be ok to run saltwater from the tank through an aluminum water block? :)

Well, you managed to pique my curiosity and got me checking what's available in PC fan controllers these days (last one I used ages ago was one of tose DIY drill some holes and stick pots in them types :P )

http://www.frozencpu.com/products/22852/bus-373/Gelid_Solutions_Speed_Touch_Six_30W_6x_Channel_Touch_Screen_Fan_Controller_FC-LC-01.html?tl=g34c17s286
6 temperature sensors, 5.25" bay, touch screen control, $40

That is just an example of what's out there but something like that would suit your plans better maybe?

Well, you managed to pique my curiosity and got me checking what's available in PC fan controllers these days (last one I used ages ago was one of tose DIY drill some holes and stick pots in them types :P )

http://www.frozencpu.com/products/22852/bus-373/Gelid_Solutions_Speed_Touch_Six_30W_6x_Channel_Touch_Screen_Fan_Controller_FC-LC-01.html?tl=g34c17s286

6 temperature sensors, 5.25" bay, touch screen control, $40

That is just an example of what's out there but something like that would suit your plans better maybe?

Yeah, but actually I would only need two temperature probes, one for the water in an one for water out. Then maybe two of the $9.99 fan controller is the best choice? :)

Yes .. i know where you are coming from.. im a total DIY fan.. i come from Motorcycle Road racing and build race biles and engineer parts... so i can built it.. but sometimes.. i like opening a fancy box..and just installing something....

Archived