SaltCritters.com

Smaller anthias in 29

Deejax

I really love anthias's and have always wanted one. I have a biocube 29 with a male and female lubbocks wrasse. Has anyone had success keeping the smaller anthias's like the bartletts or ignitus in a smaller tank like a 29? I have good flow the wrasses stay active enough.

Both those species I wouldn't recommend in a 29 biocube :(
They just need more room to swim, and the Ignitus can be more on the shy side

If you kept anthias, you'd only have room for 1 anyway

Both those species I wouldn't recommend in a 29 biocube :(

They just need more room to swim, and the Ignitus can be more on the shy side

If you kept anthias, you'd only have room for 1 anyway

Do you think there is a species that would do ok?

Do you think there is a species that would do ok?

I can recommend one: the geometric pygmy anthias, often mistaken for a hawkfish (and often sold as a geometric pygmy hawkfish). Then again, it doesn't really fit the bill for the normal anthias. But if you wanted one really badly, that one would probably be okay in a 10 gallon I think. Possibly you might get lucky with a sunburst anthias, more deepwater and rock-cover sort of fish, or maaaybe an ignitus or waitei, but I really think that the geometric pygmy is the only one that will really be happy.

I can recommend one: the geometric pygmy anthias, often mistaken for a hawkfish (and often sold as a geometric pygmy hawkfish). Then again, it doesn't really fit the bill for the normal anthias. But if you wanted one really badly, that one would probably be okay in a 10 gallon I think. Possibly you might get lucky with a sunburst anthias, more deepwater and rock-cover sort of fish, or maaaybe an ignitus or waitei, but I really think that the geometric pygmy is the only one that will really be happy.

The sunburst was the one I originally wanted. After doing a little research last night I think I'll either get one of those or a hogfish. I didn't realize that hogfish were reef safe and some of the species are smaller than I thought as well. I have a little bit of time to think and research before I have enough money to buy one anyway

The geometric pygmy was a good suggestion though, very beautiful. It still does have a lot of anthias features, I just read that it was very cryptic though and I would hate spending a lot of money on a fish I won't see

The sunburst was the one I originally wanted. After doing a little research last night I think I'll either get one of those or a hogfish. I didn't realize that hogfish were reef safe and some of the species are smaller than I thought as well. I have a little bit of time to think and research before I have enough money to buy one anyway

The geometric pygmy was a good suggestion though, very beautiful. It still does have a lot of anthias features, I just read that it was very cryptic though and I would hate spending a lot of money on a fish I won't see

Definitely, I think that geometric pygmy would be a lot better in like the 10 or a 15, maybe as small as 7 or 8 so that it can be observed. As its not much of a swimmer it doesn't need too much volume. I would still be careful with the sunburst, even though it is the most compatible with such a small size I'd still say to be cautious with it in just a 29 gallon tank. Also, hogfish are pretty cool and they aren't all that big. Maybe a yellow candy would be the best, or you could get a temporary Bodianus and trade it in when it gets over 4-6"

Definitely, I think that geometric pygmy would be a lot better in like the 10 or a 15, maybe as small as 7 or 8 so that it can be observed. As its not much of a swimmer it doesn't need too much volume. I would still be careful with the sunburst, even though it is the most compatible with such a small size I'd still say to be cautious with it in just a 29 gallon tank. Also, hogfish are pretty cool and they aren't all that big. Maybe a yellow candy would be the best, or you could get a temporary Bodianus and trade it in when it gets over 4-6"

Yeah i was looking at that one and the bodianus masuda it stays smaller I saw small ones on a site for around $50 but i have a feeling there stock list wasn't accurate they had everything in stock

Yeah i was looking at that one and the bodianus masuda it stays smaller I saw small ones on a site for around $50 but i have a feeling there stock list wasn't accurate they had everything in stock

Still, small is a relative term...I think you might have to pull a coris wrasse; keep them when they're small and cute, trade them in when they wreck up the small tank. Or maybe leave it to a larger tank. If you really like them and it's just something about them, then you have a nice excuse to upgrade to a larger system. If you just want the water movement and color, I'd recommend maybe a school of cardinals (always loved those), or you could try it out with a cherub angel (not sure how well this would work - but it shouldn't be too bad) or a flameback. Long story short, lots of these common reef fish are just really small and cute for a little while, and then they get huge and they're practically smashing your aquascape when they turn around. I don't know though, I'm sure lots of other people will offer up some good suggestions for specific or other nano fish.

Archived