SaltCritters.com

Manual top off with kalk in Biocube 29

lk250f

I wanted to start topping off with RO/DI and maybe 1-2tsp of kalk powder mixed in a gallon jug. I have a stock Biocube 29 which maybe evaporates 16oz. of water per day maximum. I am not sure exactly since I go by the glass window on the side of my tank. My normal level is right at the top of the glass and I will top off enough to get it back up. However I estimate that it is no more than 16oz. I see that people recommend using it in an ATO since it will add small amounts of water each time. However should I see adverse effects given that I am topping off a small amount? I am planning on using it to stabilize my dkh and replenish calcium between water changes. I probably have a total volume of 20gal. and do a 5gal. water change each week. I have few softies and four lps corals.

Thanks!

Hmm, do you really need to? I mean, 20 gal and you do a 25% change per weeK? IMO, an ATO is a necessity with any tank to keep the salinity stable (besides being a pain to manually top off each day) and to slowly add kalk if needed. If you do manual kalk top off be sure to add it slowly (drip it in) and add only the clear liquid and not any of the white precipitate. Also, that is too much kalk per gallon, think 1/4 tsp to start.

I suppose I do not need to. I was just trying to get my parameters perfect, but we all know that messing around will probably make it worse. My corals look fine and everyone is healthy and everything so I will leave it be for now. I may start testing my dkh everyday after my water change to see if I notice a difference day by day to figure out when to dose a buffer with my top off to keep it up. Or just leave it alone and save myself a lot of headache..

Just test dkh/calc for a week straight and you will know if dosing anything is necessary. With only four LPS I doubt you will see much of a swing.

Just test dkh/calc for a week straight and you will know if dosing anything is necessary. With only four LPS I doubt you will see much of a swing.

That is the plan and a good idea. I would rather not try to fix it if it isn't really broken. My acan is loving life as it is. I have had it for maybe three weeks and it started with three heads and I already can count two bigger heads and like four that are just starting growing.

Archived