ReefCleaners.org

Frozen food nutrition

dottybackss

Is frozen food have more nutrition than any of those flake foods and pellet foods? The frozen foods I feed to my fish are hikari spirulina brine and mysis and is only two times a week.

Depends, what kind of brine, napuli or adults

Your flakes and pellets aren't necessarily not nutritious, if your fish will eat them I recommend it. The makers of those processed fish food brands specifically make them to have some good nutritional value. I use frozen for fdish who won't eat any different.

Depends, what kind of brine, napuli or adults

Your flakes and pellets aren't necessarily not nutritious, if your fish will eat them I recommend it. The makers of those processed fish food brands specifically make them to have some good nutritional value. I use frozen for fdish who won't eat any different.

I am not sure if is adult or napuli. it is just the Hikari spirulina brine. All my fishes eat flakes and pellets.

Wait is it spirulina and brine shrimp, or just spirulina?

Try to feed the fish more pellets and flakes, and give frozen as a snack every so often. It will save you much money, and your fish should be fine with it.

This is a hobby for me.

While I really don't like paying retail for stuff, and rarely do....

Cheaper is not my main motivation for this hobby. I could buy chinese LEDs instead of German or American LEDs, I don't.

I could buy off the shelf tank systems instead of custom or Italian, but I dont.

Even when I DIY, I could build cheaper sumps etc, but I don't. My DIY algae scrapers or Farkwar's Things ARE the cheapest, but they are best for what I need moreso.

I have 8 packs of frozen cubes of coral foods that are not that much at all, like 5 to 7 dollars a pack, I could make my own with a silicone ice cube tray and a food grinder. Bottled fridge foods are $20 a bottle. Reef Roids at $24 a can. Acropower at $16. Hikari and NLS dry pellets, pretty cheap there. 3 bottles of dried TLF coral food and BRS Reef Chili, about $10 each. And close to $1000 worth of stuff in blue bottles. And a pink bottle of white liquid lipids, for $20(looks like soy oil).

This is a hobby, its not a necessity. As such, I gain enjoyment from the doing, and the way of doing.

I know variety, and not one particular food is best for these animals. Switch up foods on a dog or cat, and you give them the shits. And for irony, the, some of the, animals in our reef tank actually like to eat poop.

So no, Im not worried about the cost of Hikari spirulina and Brine Shrimp frozen. If i were to switch, it would be to procure and feed live versions. Not the cheapest route.

Partially Submerged

Good post! And two valid perspectives. It's important to understand that there are a lot of overpriced premium products in our hobby. And then, of course, products that say "aquarium" on them are often already overpriced. If you want really cheap, feed your fish frozen shrimp, fish, etc. Stuff you probably already have in the freezer. But I'm with farkwar, I'm not in the hobby to save money. I am very willing to pay a little extra for a good product from a good company. Just as I like to buy some stuff at my LFS even though I could get it cheaper on Amazon.

Compare Hikari mysis nutritional value to PE frozen Mysis and they are like night and day. My fish eat Hikari if its all they have but they tear PE Mysis up as soon as it hits the water.

My African clawed frogs favorite food in the whole wide world is living blackworms, they eat them so quickly. But if you see the price for lots of them you see why its a special occasion only food.

I got tired of tweezing individual PE mysis to my coral.

Time Lapse Feeding Day:

That's ~30 mins into 2.5 mins.

Hikari are syringe-able. Much easier and faster.

Partially Submerged

Wow, these are some big mysis! I mainly feed pieces of raw shrimp, and I feel like my portions are stingy compared to yours. Might up the size a little.

Do you guys feed your acan or brain corals? I dont feed my acan and my lobo brain at all, is this the reason they dont grow? I have them for a year but they still the same size and never seen new heads come out.

Do you guys feed your acan or brain corals? I dont feed my acan and my lobo brain at all, is this the reason they dont grow? I have them for a year but they still the same size and never seen new heads come out.

I feed all my corals that will accept meaty foods. It definitely seems to help them grow.

Archived