SaltCritters.com

What are they doing? (clownfish)

lkoechle

So, this is my second pair of clowns. my first I purchased together as juvies, so no issues pairing. This pair I bought seperately about two weeks apart as slightly larger juvies.

My phantom was purchased first at about an 1.5 in length. The DaVinci was from someone's downsizing and she was about 1.75 (she might be 2 inches now, I think). Anyways, DaVinci is larger but not by huge amount.

90% of the time, the Phantom is submissive. The 10% he isn't, he gets a major ass whooping.

90% of the time, they swim together.

0% of the time do they sleep together.

And every now and then, the Phantom charges the DaVinci and the DaVinci submits. (she usually gives him an ass whooping 5 seconds later though and ends with the Phantom submitting) WTH?

So far, I've been assuming I don't have two females because they are both still alive and only one encounter ended with the Phantom having a torn fin.

I've had these fish for 4 months now. Whats going on with them? Is this still normal, just prolonged pairing behavior?

Your female is most probably the DaVinci, Phantom assuming the lesser male spot. But it can switch....they are truly amorphic you know.

My clowns have been a pair for about 5 months now and they still submit to each other but it's obvious which one is the true female during feeding because my male always lets her eat first and will only eat food after it floats by her first. Sometimes they sleep together but sometimes the male is in a different spot

No I was talking about the Phantom switching. If anything happens to the DaVinci, and you add another, the Phantom will probably assume dominance as the female.

Archived