Innovative Marine Aquariums

dwarf angel in a nano

youngreef

Temporarily at best. Even dwarf angels can get pretty large and territorial for "small" fish. Plus they like to swim and graze alot. Some people have said they wouldnt put them in anything smaller than a 4' tank because of how much they zoom, Also smaller tanks make it alot more likely for them to damage ornamental inverts with nipping as they have a smaller area to explore and are more likely to repeatedly nip a single specimen to death.

some people will say it can be done, But i personally don't think so. tried a coral beauty in my 40 breeder and could tell hed be trouble, Instantly took over the tank(from my flamehawk no less.)Swam up against any additions and was going OP nip mode on my corals. Was not fun getting him out either.

Dwarf angels can be a tougher specimen to keep in a small tank no doubt, but it's been done successfully more than a few times.

Yes there is a decent chance that they will nip corals eventually. Those that haven't had it happen will say that dwarf angels don't nip corals, and those that have had it happen say they do. There's no universally applicable answer here as it depends on the species kept, the tendencies of the individual animal, as well as the conditions, set up, and other inhabitants of the tank it's placed in.

As to territoriality, kind of the same thing. With that size tank you could be faced with territorial issues if you have more than say 1 or 2 fish besides the angel.

My true beef with dwarf angels is that they are magnets for parasites and disease. If you get one I would strongly suggest a thorough quarantine. They are very strong fish and pretty much all of them are wild caught. So they do their best to hide infestations and such until they get into your tank. You would be amazed at how many parasites I've seen come off a dwarf angel after a FW bath!

So I've basically given up on dwarf angels. IMO they can be kept, but I've noticed a trend away from them in the past 2 years or so that seems to indicate others have as well (in my narrow view of the world anyways). Maybe do a search and look for others that have similar tanks to what you want to achieve and ask them their opinions? Myself? I didn't mind so much when they nipped corals - and most of my other fish were aggressive as well, but I don't like that they're wild caught and the ones I've attempted to keep were riddled with parasites that it just wasn't worth the effort.

Dwarf angels can be a tougher specimen to keep in a small tank no doubt, but it's been done successfully more than a few times.

Yes there is a decent chance that they will nip corals eventually. Those that haven't had it happen will say that dwarf angels don't nip corals, and those that have had it happen say they do. There's no universally applicable answer here as it depends on the species kept, the tendencies of the individual animal, as well as the conditions, set up, and other inhabitants of the tank it's placed in.

As to territoriality, kind of the same thing. With that size tank you could be faced with territorial issues if you have more than say 1 or 2 fish besides the angel.

My true beef with dwarf angels is that they are magnets for parasites and disease. If you get one I would strongly suggest a thorough quarantine. They are very strong fish and pretty much all of them are wild caught. So they do their best to hide infestations and such until they get into your tank. You would be amazed at how many parasites I've seen come off a dwarf angel after a FW bath!

So I've basically given up on dwarf angels. IMO they can be kept, but I've noticed a trend away from them in the past 2 years or so that seems to indicate others have as well (in my narrow view of the world anyways). Maybe do a search and look for others that have similar tanks to what you want to achieve and ask them their opinions? Myself? I didn't mind so much when they nipped corals - and most of my other fish were aggressive as well, but I don't like that they're wild caught and the ones I've attempted to keep were riddled with parasites that it just wasn't worth the effort.

Temporarily at best. Even dwarf angels can get pretty large and territorial for "small" fish. Plus they like to swim and graze alot. Some people have said they wouldnt put them in anything smaller than a 4' tank because of how much they zoom, Also smaller tanks make it alot more likely for them to damage ornamental inverts with nipping as they have a smaller area to explore and are more likely to repeatedly nip a single specimen to death.

some people will say it can be done, But i personally don't think so. tried a coral beauty in my 40 breeder and could tell hed be trouble, Instantly took over the tank(from my flamehawk no less.)Swam up against any additions and was going OP nip mode on my corals. Was not fun getting him out either.

thanks guys for the information I will let you guys know what i decide

Wow I'm a little surprised you only got negative replies...

Obviously I was sort of one of them, but don't let that dissuade you too much if a dwarf angel is really a priority for you. No doubt they are interesting and captivating fish!

Research them as much as you can, then research the specific one you think you want again. Not just liveaquara or wikipedia, but find out what kinds of tanks people have success with them in and decide if you can provide a similar environment. With the appropriate species in the appropriate tank and with the right care (and the right quarantine!) you can certainly be successful.

I have had several different varieties of dwarf angels in my 29g. All have done very well, any problems were on my part not the fishes. have had a flame angel, a coral beauty and a potters over the years and all did extremely well.

i have been thinking of a dwarf angel too, i have 34g tank. I am going to try one of these http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=15+16+456&pcatid=456

They arent the most popular, but they are one of the smallest angels

Picking mine up at the weekend :)

wow thats nice good luck let me now how it does

I have had several different varieties of dwarf angels in my 29g. All have done very well, any problems were on my part not the fishes. have had a flame angel, a coral beauty and a potters over the years and all did extremely well.

sweet thanks

Don't do the flame they are small but need a huge space. I'm actually picking up my cba today for my biocube29.

ok, i also heard that they nip at coral more than any other dwarf angel, is that true?

I have my cherub angelfish in a 4' tank, I wouldn't put it in any smaller, I would argue they need a bigger tank than a yellow tang

I love dwarf angels but found most to be nippers of LPS, clams, or feather duster worms so be sure to consider that.

ok thanks i was kind of thinking an lps/softie tank i cant wait till my tank gets here

I've had a coral beauty, and a cherub angel in 28 gallon cubes at different times and never had a problem. They've always been happy. Just make sure they have enough to eat and a good diversity in food.

I've had a coral beauty, and a cherub angel in 28 gallon cubes at different times and never had a problem. They've always been happy. Just make sure they have enough to eat and a good diversity in food.

Ok sounds good

I added my royal blue dwarf Angel yesterday, they are one of the smallest Angels. Hes dark blue with light blue fins and a yellow tail.

Could we get a pic of it? Sounds beautiful

its difficult for me to get a good picture at the minute as he has only been in 2 days and hes a bit shy, but he looks pretty much the same as the picture i have attached. They only grow to around 3-4 inches so are one of the smallest. Over here in the uk they are pretty rare, my lfs have only had the one in in the 10 years they have been running. However they seem readily available from the liveaquaria site in the us

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=15+16+456&pcatid=456

they can range from dark purple to a dark blue

post-85444-0-60378500-1422203692_thumb.jpg

its difficult for me to get a good picture at the minute as he has only been in 2 days and hes a bit shy, but he looks pretty much the same as the picture i have attached. They only grow to around 3-4 inches so are one of the smallest. Over here in the uk they are pretty rare, my lfs have only had the one in in the 10 years they have been running. However they seem readily available from the liveaquaria site in the us

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=15+16+456&pcatid=456'>http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=15+16+456&pcatid=456

they can range from dark purple to a dark blue

wow that's beautifull how much did it cost

I have kept a flame angelfish in my 36 gallon bow front for the better part of a year with my clown pair, my midas blenny, and my yasha goby.

All is well except for the fact that he completely owns the tank. The female clown and the flame butt heads a couple of times per week, but it's all posturing. 98% of the time everyone shares the space very well.

I have debated getting rid of the flame ,but he adds so much activity and color. Plus, he has never so much as eyed any of my coral. I'd love to add a potter's to the mix, but that will have to wait until I have a larger tank!

Archived