ReefCleaners.org

Phosphate Reactor?

Admonition

I've been fighting green hair algae for about 3 months now with little success. The GHA grows on my sandbed, covers my powerhead, rear chamber, and has taken a foothold on my BRS Reef Saver Dry rock (avoiding my coraline algae covered live rock). I believe that the root of my phosphate issue was the dry rock, which was added to the two year old established system about 7 months ago. I believe the rock released large amount of phosphates and possibly created a mini cycle. I have subsequently not been able to win the GHA battle by black outs, Astrea snails, manual picking, brushing (inside tank cause I can't remove rocks), CPE or purigen.

I recently purchased a skimmer (Tunze 9001) in the hopes that a skimmer would help in removing the excess nutrients before they break down and fuel the GHA (plus I simply wanted to try one out lol). On top of that, a phosphate reactor running GFO has been recommended in every "How do I get of GHA" thread I've researched.

Subsequently, I am debating about getting one and trying it out in conjunction with everything else. I have never used one, so I was hoping for recommendations on one from you guys. I would prefer one I can stick in the rear chamber of my tank (to eliminate the possibility of a loose hose spewing water all over my floor) but I'm not limited to just those.

I've seen lots of good reviews on the Innovative Marine MiniMax Reactor and the Phosban Reactor by TLF. Anyone have comments on either of these or suggestions of a different one?

O. K., first things first.....

Have you tested P04 levels? If so, what are they? If you haven't tested P04, I would suggest getting a test kit.

I see you have tried a number of different things to eradicate GHA, but there are others. Raising Mg levels to around 1500ppm is one. There also is a thread where hydrogen peroxide was effective in getting rid of gha as well. Some will also use an algae scrubber, like santa monica filtration sells (I have one of these, just haven't set it up yet).

I do run a GFO reactor and it is by CPR. It's called the Nano-Reactor and it fits perfectly in chamber #1 in my BC29. Here is a pic of it, you can buy these at most of our sponsors' web-sites (Premium Aquatics, Marine Depot, Bulk Reef Supply etc.). And the price is very reasonable too, around $40 to $50 bucks. You can also run bio-pellets in it.

CPR_nano_reactor.jpg

My phosphate readings are 0. I've used a Hannah ULR Phosphorous checker and a Red Sea phosphate kit. Both zeros. I'm assuming that they are false readings due to the algae growth.

I've debated about the rise in mag. It seems the bump in mag should be via Tech M (with something in their formula). But I don't want to cause harm to my corals and people seem split on weither the mag raise affects their corals.

As far as an algae scrubber, no, I have not tried one of those. Thank you for the suggestion. I looked up the company you mentioned and watched a video on their 1.3 model, incredible.

Let me ask you this then. A reactor running GFO and this company made algae scrubber being equal in price, which do you think would be the most benifitial?

My phosphate readings are 0. I've used a Hannah ULR Phosphorous checker and a Red Sea phosphate kit. Both zeros. I'm assuming that they are false readings due to the algae growth.

I've debated about the rise in mag. It seems the bump in mag should be via Tech M (with something in their formula). But I don't want to cause harm to my corals and people seem split on weither the mag raise affects their corals.

As far as an algae scrubber, no, I have not tried one of those. Thank you for the suggestion. I looked up the company you mentioned and watched a video on their 1.3 model, incredible.

Let me ask you this then. A reactor running GFO and this company made algae scrubber being equal in price, which do you think would be the most benifitial?

That's a good question!

I have always had good success keeping my phos levels down with the reactor. While I do have the algae scrubber, I have not set it up yet, just not too sure about how they work and how effective they are. Although Santa Monica does claim you can drastically cut back on water changes so I don't know.

Right now I'm going with the "tried and true" method.

Ah gotcha, thanks. I'm definitly going to try the reactor but now I'm curious about which GFO. I intended to just use BRS' high capacity GFO but some reviews say it's bad because I'll use too little an amount inside the reactor which means the water won't have as much contact time with the GFO as it would if I used the regular kind (which would require a larger volume). Is this true?

Basser,

Question. If he has bad GHA, what difference does it make what a lab test says the phosphate level is?

I mean, you offered the same advice to him with 0 phosphate that you'd offer if it was 100.

Honestly, if a tank has GHA, its going to have 0 phosphate. The algae is consuming it as it becomes available. His tank is acting like an algae scrubber, not like, it is one. If you have GHA, you have a serious nutrient problem, no matter what a test says. May as well leave the tester in a drawer, you don't even need it.

Archived