ReefCleaners.org

Just moved, now nitrates are very high.

jojo822

CronicReefer
Don't run the skimmer 24/7?

It's not necessarily required when you have a skimmer that large on a tank that size. Running it less will just produce "drier" skim but if you would rather keep it on 24/7 feel free.

I just moved dec 6. Took everything out to move the jbj 28 gal, now nitrates won't budge. They are very high. I bought live bacteria from my lps, and it seemed to make it worse. Any suggestions? Large water change?

Howdy,

I have not read every post but I did see some advice I don't agree with so I'll just go over what I think, possibly repeating what others have said. This is just my opinion.

Re-using the sand is probably the issue. When the detritus was stirred up it released a lot of nitrates into the water column plus the bacteria in the sandbed got jumbled and now it can't process nitrates like it used too until the population re-builds.

Run the skimmer 24/7 and wet skim to help reduce nutrients in the tank.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with a large water change as long as you can come close to matching temperature, PH, and KH.

Always double check your test kits if you are getting questionable readings and make sure you are using quality kits. I like Salifert for everything and I only use a calibrated handheld meter or probe for PH because the kits have bad accuracy. That said, using a test kit to make sure the water comes close to matching is probably ok.

Smaller serial (back to back) water changes also work well for reducing nitrates.

Carbon dosing and wet skimming work well together, I prefer vinegar, but you should google it and make sure you understand how it works before trying it IMO.

Remember you've already had a quick change, the increase in nitrates, and reefs hate rapid change, so any correction should be slow and steady to prevent more harm. Again, IMO.

So would you suggest a 5 gal wc a day, or 10gal, until nitrates get lower.

5 sounds like less work. :) I might do 2, 5 gallon changes a day.

Archived