Coral Vue Hydros

Hisea A1. The chinese Kessil?

CatfishSoupFTW

CatfishSoupFTW

Found these. Anyone heard of them? i didnt find much when googling. The page shares quite a bit of info on it.

http://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/HISEA-A1-full-spectrum-bridgelux-coral_60138031363.html

I asked for prices and got:

Retail price:

Main lamp is $200, sub-lamp is $185

Wholesale price:

Main lamp is $165, sub-lamp is $150

Agent price:

Main lamp is $155, sub-lamp is $140

Spread is about 23x23 inches.

Chinese Kessil? Hardly.

The point behind the Kessil is that it has all the colors it needs on the single multi-chip LED, so you get superior blending, and a single point source. Sure it looks similar, but that's about it. The Wifi control is a nice touch but the colors grouped on channels sucks.

And there is very little chance that there are legit Cree LEDs in that fixture. First off, the primary LED certainly isn't Cree. The supplemental colors surrounding it are in wavelengths that Cree does not produce (like 660nm, 595nm, 500nm)

Is it usable? Sure. Just don't directly compare it to a Kessil by looks alone.

• Like 1
jedimasterben

The supplemental colors surrounding it are in wavelengths that Cree does not produce (like 660nm, 595nm, 500nm)

Technically Cree does now have a 660nm 'photo red' and their own PC-amber that is at least near to 595nm ;)

CatfishSoupFTW

Im still fairly new into this LED world, as all I really have is a PAR38 (which has been doing well) but I want something with more control and functions, i.e. channel control etc. Id love to save up for a kessil, radion, or AI, but im also looking at china equivalents (for the lack of a better word) and just been browsing.

What would be the things to look for ? i.e. these pendant style lights, or something like this:

http://www.ctlite.cn/English/ProductList.asp?SortID=154&SortPath=0,142,144,154,&ParentID=144

On both ends of this uprise of Chinese LED lights, I have seen people get good results in both wholesale storefronts i.e. frag stores, to personal use tanks with long term success. But whats the difference? usually MIC products that are developped in China tend to cut corners at times, but at the same time, American designed products are inflated... thoughts? I know Evil has good experience with LEDs (been reading tons of posts you have made over the years) but whats everyones opinion here?

I have a 18x18x16 starfire rimless cube (21 gals or so ) with a 10 gallon sump, and a 54 watt par38, but I plan to upgrade in the future with that fancy looking stuff.

What makes Cree different than other LEDs?

jedimasterben

What makes Cree different than other LEDs?

Quality control, for one. You don't know what you're getting from most Chinese LED panel manufacturers, nor will you know if you order one now and another next week if they will look the same.

My advice - save your money.

• Like 1
CatfishSoupFTW

I hear yeah. Was merely curious, but they can be a mystery. Rather save my little student dollars, and spend it right when I have it.

for the kessil, I have been confused with their lineup. Lets say I choose skyblue, would I be able to take it and turn it into a deep blue? or could i buy the deep blue and cool it down a bit? I noticed they sell different color temp versions, but I thought most of these lights you can dial the temp. from cool to deep blue, and even warm.

jedimasterben

I hear yeah. Was merely curious, but they can be a mystery. Rather save my little student dollars, and spend it right when I have it.

for the kessil, I have been confused with their lineup. Lets say I choose skyblue, would I be able to take it and turn it into a deep blue? or could i buy the deep blue and cool it down a bit? I noticed they sell different color temp versions, but I thought most of these lights you can dial the temp. from cool to deep blue, and even warm.

It is not possible to get 'warm' looking light unless you use the 'Amazon sun' model. All white LEDs in the marine Kessils are very, very cold white. If you want to be able to adjust up or down and not just one or the other, then choose whichever is 'in the middle'.

CatfishSoupFTW

looks like according to the tuna blue:

http://www.petsandponds.com/en/aquarium-supplies/c5813/c231289/p17693384.html

color spectrum is 10k-actinic so if it offers such control for that price range that seems great. I just wish it had an internal controller for ramping etc. external controllers equals more moola. -__-

know of any lights that offer this type of spectrum plus built in or included control of ramping/timer/storms etc?

I am no light expert by any chance, but I wouldn't mind get my hands on one of these just to test out.

$200 is a bit much, depending on the size of the tank i am lighting up. If it was a small cube I would rather go with the new A160W

CatfishSoupFTW

damn. fancy controller eventually I suppose down the road. The a160w(e)? is now on my radar. I have always been a fan of the deeper blues, 18-20K so maybe the tuna blue will be of preference. ramps down to 10K which is fairly white but not my usual jazz. I guess ill wake up and ramp it myself! haha.

some of these suppliers (the chinese peeps) have had free sample specials, but it was in September. So its worth a note to scout for those every now and then. That what I was doing, I was contacting them to see prices, and what they offer and thats when I found out about those samples.

Technically Cree does now have a 660nm 'photo red' and their own PC-amber that is at least near to 595nm ;)

I had forgotten about the photo red seeing as it's only available on the old XP-E platform. They snuck the amber and PC-amber past me though.

• Like 1
  • 3 years later...
CatfishSoupFTW
23 minutes ago, azer265 said:

Does anybody know hpw to connect a Hisea A1 to wifi?. ive got one but there is no instructions with it :(

is there an app? maybe you use that to pair. I did a brief google and saw the word app.  I have a few devices at home that required an app to be present in order to pair or do anything on initial set up. 

Thanks for your reply, Yes it has its own Wifi access point under the wifi connections on my phone. 
I have connected to that wifi and then opened the app but it doesnt control the light at all.
it shows a "Add" button so i have clicked that but it then asks for an IP address and port.. Any Ideas?

CatfishSoupFTW
37 minutes ago, azer265 said:

Thanks for your reply, Yes it has its own Wifi access point under the wifi connections on my phone. 
I have connected to that wifi and then opened the app but it doesnt control the light at all.
it shows a "Add" button so i have clicked that but it then asks for an IP address and port.. Any Ideas?

hmmmm... 

definitely no idea lol but this reminds me of when I would set up my OBDII reader for my car. I had to set up a static IP for it.  so I assume its not ACTUALLY using wifi but rather "wifi" from the phone to the light? so im wondering if you would have to connect to that connection versus just your home network. 

https://medium.com/@gepeto42/using-an-iphone-or-ipod-touch-with-an-elm327-wifi-obd-ii-3527562a33d3

the above is how the OBDII's are set up. maybe its  a similar set up. Totally shooting in the dark but maybe its along the same lines of set up. Internet literally revealed no other useful results for this light aside from a dead post in 2017 with someone having the same issue. 

option 2 would be, message them on Aliexpress or alibaba. They run 12 hours ahead so I usually chat with them at night around 9 pm est. I use Ali every blue moon to buy stuff and people always respond insanely quick. So worse case ontario, give them a dm. 

2 hours ago, azer265 said:

Just a guess but you may need to connect the app directly to the wifi on the light. Then you can probably program the light for your home network.