Cultivated Reef

Trying out the new lens

Hexadron

Finally I have something worthy to shoot with my new Canon EF 100mm f2.8 MACRO USM lens! This is my first go at this, so be gentle, but C&C welcome

2d1vfi9.jpg

2prfww9.jpg

126flef.jpg

2mi1grm.jpg

Thanks guys! I wish I had more corals to take photos of to practice. I did get a yellow filter to take some florescence photo's though. First shot.

2d7uf41.jpg

Christopher Marks

Are you shooting handheld or with a tripod? I know it's tempting to shoot wide open, but if you stop the lens down a little bit more to 3.2 or 3.6 you will get a slightly wider depth of field which I think will help get more of the polyps in focus.

Are you shooting handheld or with a tripod? I know it's tempting to shoot wide open, but if you stop the lens down a little bit more to 3.2 or 3.6 you will get a slightly wider depth of field which I think will help get more of the polyps in focus.

Tripod and remote shutter.

Thanks for the advice Christopher! I'll have to play around some more once I get some new specimens to shoot :)

Christopher Marks

That's perfect! When you line up your next shots, try shooting the same photo multiple times but change your aperture a little bit for each shot. You'll be able to compare and see how the depth of field widens to find the sweet spot.

Crank that aperture down to about f/10 or more. Really good shots though, it's much much harder to get clear macro shots of reef specimens. It's easily the most difficult thing I've ever tried to photograph (macro).

Archived