SaltCritters.com

HELP! silencing my drain into my sump

d_adler

after finally plumbing my new cad lights tank im having issues with a constant swishing sound coming from the drain under the bulk head in the stand. it is making way to much noise and seeing as this tank is in my room i need to figure out a way to silence it to the best of my abilities. any suggestions are welcome

most of the noise seems to be coming from where the white elbow is

IMG_1062_zpsaa4bb379.jpg

That's because the water will be falling until it hits the 90 degree bend in that elbow which will cause it to make a sudden change of direction. This will stop the water and cause it to back up and gurgle air as opposed to moving swiftly through the plumbing. You needed to plumb it with a 45 degree elbow higher up and then a 45 into the sump. Your ball valve is to high up too. Just moving that to the end of the horizontal run might help. The ball valve will slow the water down as you know to set your weir water level, you should have it as close to the sump water line as possible. Not always easy, but the closer the better.

This is where I managed to get mine in and its silent, I was well pleased as I couldn't test it first as my sump was the temporary home for all my stock while I set up my new tank.

WP_20141205_003_zps67aaea29.jpg

NorthGaHillbilly

I agree, its that 90 thats causing your main problem. If you take a 45 right after the bulkhead, and shoot it over to the sock youll loose alot of the sound. You can put your valve inbetween the 45s.

That's because the water will be falling until it hits the 90 degree bend in that elbow which will cause it to make a sudden change of direction. This will stop the water and cause it to back up and gurgle air as opposed to moving swiftly through the plumbing. You needed to plumb it with a 45 degree elbow higher up and then a 45 into the sump. Your ball valve is to high up too. Just moving that to the end of the horizontal run might help. The ball valve will slow the water down as you know to set your weir water level, you should have it as close to the sump water line as possible. Not always easy, but the closer the better.

This is where I managed to get mine in and its silent, I was well pleased as I couldn't test it first as my sump was the temporary home for all my stock while I set up my new tank.

WP_20141205_003_zps67aaea29.jpg

I agree, its that 90 thats causing your main problem. If you take a 45 right after the bulkhead, and shoot it over to the sock youll loose alot of the sound. You can put your valve inbetween the 45s.

that makes sense. it was such a mission to plum since it comes metric not standard for US. ill make the modifications and see if it helps. thanks

Yeah I had the same issue over here in the UK. My tank (second hand bargain) came with bulkheads that seemed to be 27mm? Maybe inch in imperial which doesn't exist any more.

I eventually found new bulkheads cheap straight from china and they came in 32mm size so I had a sizeable internal diameter upgrade which is good. But 32mm outer diameter pipe is also a pain in the ass to source it turns out lol.

Try moving your valve first before worrying about putting in 45's. As the valve will be restricting the water a little once the pipe is full it will go quiet.

So initial start up after a power cut or shut down for maintenance will be a bit noisy it will go quiet once running.

If you just fitted the 90 after the bulk head and then added a down pipe from the second 90 into the sump with the valve in it that would probably do it as long as that horizontal doesn't slow the fall of the water too much to allow the tank to drain back fast enough.

WP_20141205_004_zpsff1ea730.jpg

My secondary drain has a long horizontal run that doesn't seem to affect it's drain rate. But it is only handling 30-40% of the drain from the tank as I'm using it to supply my refugum. The primary drain is full syphon and almost (apart from the 45's dog leg) a straight drop.

I haven't actually gotten round to doing a 100% test on the secondary to make sure it could handle a blocked primary. But is has had maybe 70% load and apart from becoming very noisy as it's fully unrestricted it seemed ok.

Archived