SaltCritters.com

Frogspawn Babies!

Alexraptor

Babies!!! My Frogspawn frag has little baby polyps budding off! :D

FrogBabiesClose.jpg

This is a brand new experience for me.

I've had good fortune keeping SPS and LPS, growing and splitting, but this is the first time ever in my tank I have actually seen any of my corals undergo an actual reproductive phase. :)

Awesome! (Pic's not showing, but you've posted so many great ones in the past that you could get by on promise alone) ;)

Can't wait to see it! Having corals reproduce (versus them being fragged or self fragging) is probably the only real way we can tell we're "doing it right" - I remember how happy I was when baby Yuma started popping up in places the parents had never "walked", or how concerned I was when a colony of palys spat out a cloud of granules. Good luck with them!

Don't expect much to come from them, I've had those all over my frog but they never develop past that point ime.

I would not be to pessimistic. Out of 20 babies, 18 are doing fine and I can see substantial growth. Some will grow faster then others depending on amount of light, flow and nutrients they getting.

It is very cool to see! I remember how excited I was over the summer when I saw the same thing happening to my hammer corals. The baby heads have grown a tiny bit, but it doesnt look too too promising. I am still hopeful though since my hammers took a little time to take off in the first place. Good luck with them!

Well, its also my understanding, that some of these babies, may actually drop off to try and form their own colonies, the question is how well they actually fare at doing that in our aquariums?

• 1 year later...

Don't expect much to come from them, I've had those all over my frog but they never develop past that point ime.

Looks like something "is" coming from them after all. :)

My hammer went from 2 heads to lots very quickly and not just through splitting. I noticed several mini polyps forming and I'm fairly sure most of mine matured into the new heads I have on it currently.

Babies!!! My Frogspawn frag has little baby polyps budding off! :D

FrogBabiesClose.jpg

This is a brand new experience for me.

I've had good fortune keeping SPS and LPS, growing and splitting, but this is the first time ever in my tank I have actually seen any of my corals undergo an actual reproductive phase. :)

AWESOME! Great Pic!

Congrats "Daddy

I've had baby hammers drop off and land on the rock below it, growing into a new "colony". Your tank will be filled in no time. :)

Sounds exciting. :)

that's awesome! I never saw any of mine develop, but my spawn is huge now and I really need to consider cutting it up..

Archived