Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Just another 3 foot nano

mechishark7

Just browsing ebay and I found this light...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/DSunY-36inch-3ft-Programmable-LED-Aquarium-Light-dimmable-3W-Bridgelux-LED-light-/131375849732

I've seen it on alibaba but its free shipping from china...

It has 4 channels that can be controlled

And it vaguely explains that it has a timer function; in the "6) Set Cloudy & Storm" area

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just browsing ebay and I found this light...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/DSunY-36inch-3ft-Programmable-LED-Aquarium-Light-dimmable-3W-Bridgelux-LED-light-/131375849732

I've seen it on alibaba but its free shipping from china...

It has 4 channels that can be controlled

And it vaguely explains that it has a timer function; in the "6) Set Cloudy & Storm" area

Looks to be this one here http://m.aliexpress.com/item/32247488524.html

It seems to go only up to 12000k, so it'll be a bit more "white".

Looks decent. And ordering it from aliexpress as Jabeuy linked saves you about $40-50 (still free shipping)

The color temp on the whites isnt that big of a deal. At least they have 2 different whites and each are controllable. So you can turn them both down and turn the blues up, or turn the yellowish whites down and turn the whiter whites brighter etc. The only thing I dont like about it is the red leds. On the image it looks like 1 red LED is on channel 1, and the other red is on channel 4. For me anyway, red is a really hard color to mix. It really stands out and looks bad above about 20% brightness. I'd ask to change both of them to whites, or put both reds on the 6500k yellow channel as that one would probably be dimmer than the 12000k white channel.

Looks decent. And ordering it from aliexpress as Jabeuy linked saves you about $40-50 (still free shipping)

The color temp on the whites isnt that big of a deal. At least they have 2 different whites and each are controllable. So you can turn them both down and turn the blues up, or turn the yellowish whites down and turn the whiter whites brighter etc. The only thing I dont like about it is the red leds. On the image it looks like 1 red LED is on channel 1, and the other red is on channel 4. For me anyway, red is a really hard color to mix. It really stands out and looks bad above about 20% brightness. I'd ask to change both of them to whites, or put both reds on the 6500k yellow channel as that one would probably be dimmer than the 12000k white channel.

Ah you're right Scorched, 12000k would be with all channels turnt up.

Awesome! Gonna order it then

Ah you're right Scorched, 12000k would be with all channels turnt up.

Thanks jabeuy, have you ordered things from Aliexpress before? The ebay listing was at like $229 or something cheaper than it is now and just jumped up today I guess...thanks for the save on that cheaper listing on ali though :D

Awesome! Gonna order it then

Thanks jabeuy, have you ordered things from Aliexpress before? The ebay listing was at like $229 or something cheaper than it is now and just jumped up today I guess...thanks for the save on that cheaper listing on ali though :D

No problem :)

Nope, not aliexpress, but did get my lights via alibaba direct from the manufacturer. The seller in the link does seem to be the actual company that manufactures that light though.

Cool, thanks jabeuy.

I'm also rethinking the idea of putting an AC50 on either end of the tank...I still want to use the hidden book idea, but I think the AC50 has too much hardware in the tank, especially if I get a surface skimmer box for each one.

Sooo...I think I might drill the tank and make a separate fuge on either end of the tank out of acrylic and plumb the bulkheads to that.

I don't have any room to place a separate sump since it is going to be sitting on my dresser and I think I will be able to have more "extra" volume with the two separate fuges compared to the two AC50s

Asked them to replace the red LEDs with 6500K white LEDs...$15 extra but its less effort than me buying the white leds and replacing them myself

CatfishSoupFTW

Drill !!!!

here is a shitty quick picture I had on my cellphone that was then horrendously compressed and it bothers me. But, that aside, I too was limited on space before Drilling. I wanted a sump for my 21 cube but since this was going to be beside my bed, putting it on a tall stand would look weird. Using the old stand for my 10 gallon, which is basically a bed side table, I plumbed it and somehow made it all fit. the stand is hardly 2 feet tall, and not much space underneath. But enough for a non standard 10 gallon, and skimmer and fuge light. My next goal is to make paneling to hide it all. But as you see, if you try, plumbing it in a limited space isnt too bananas. Soft plumbed and bam.

for similar reasons, I didnt want an AC on my tank hanging, as thats how I had it on my 10 gallon... next thing you know a skimmer came along, and it just looked stupid all hanging there. Hence why I drilled. Though when it came to drilling, I dont like giant overflow boxes taking up space, so I was going to Mame it. But because maintenance on that would be annoying and its so expensive I decided for the same price, I could get a custom ghost overflow, return pump and plumbing parts for basically the same price of just the mame. Add in a custom made DIY lid with a window screen kit and youre set. It looks pretty clean imo, as the overflow blends in with the black background. Another Idea I had was to follow how Hey has his tank. Matte finish and mame overflow, but again, algae would be a bother.

post-84731-0-57375100-1419386660_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

So my light has arrived from China and first impression, I'm very happy with it and it's programmability. I'll try and post a pic up later but my computer won't work so I'll have to see if I can even post photos from my phone on here.

Other news, I ordered my tank last night so things are slowly starting to move on this build

So my ups tracking info says my tank is waiting for me at home right now, also got my computer working again so I'll be posting pics soon on the tank, light and its placement soon

DSC_0761_zpsdd6b5ec9.jpg

Heres what the tank will look like setup with the hidden book fugues/sumps on either side. Their just books now for a mock up but the tank setup should look very similar to this when its finished, plus the light.

DSC_0763_zps9b684ffc.jpg

Heres how it looks with the light during leak testing. That low iron glass is :haha:

Nice 3 footer! All these long tanks look very nice. Following :D .

Thanks!

I'm thinking about taking a minimalist approach to this.

Thinking bare bottom with one rock on the right side of the tank.

I want the bare bottom to be covered with coral, whether it be GSP, zoas or ricordeas. I think a full ricordea garden covering the bottom would look incredible.

And then the one rock would be like an island in a sea of rics or whatever I choose to cover the bottom.

reefernanoman

Thanks!

I'm thinking about taking a minimalist approach to this.

Thinking bare bottom with one rock on the right side of the tank.

I want the bare bottom to be covered with coral, whether it be GSP, zoas or ricordeas. I think a full ricordea garden covering the bottom would look incredible.

And then the one rock would be like an island in a sea of rics or whatever I choose to cover the bottom.

Yeah, I'm going to put GSP on the bottom of my 28G, since my female maroon clownfish makes a mess with sand every day all day.

are all the 12 G long from Mr. aqua low iron? i couldnt find any info on this for some reason.

nope, the regular one is $97 and the low iron is $135 so its a pretty easy decision ;)...but yeah it looks really clear, at least compared to the fluvial chi I have right now lol

CatfishSoupFTW

haha yeah im all about that starfire life. had a 10 gallon, then now my 21 gal. Also had a fluval ebi but thats doodoo, then generic tanks, including my 55 gallon.

now time to find one in Canada. How is the gluing on it? I know ADA makes 9 gallon long. its 24x12x8 i think. wish they made a 12.

The silicone work on the tank is great, only silicones where the panes touch, no unsightly bead of silicone along the corners of the tank. There were some small scratches on the tank which I'm going to email marine depot about.

The pvc is only temporary to see how the light looks. I will hang it from the ceiling

So I am planning my two sump/fuges now and trying to figure out the best setup for them.

I'm going to use a Hydor Centrifugal Pump 300 on each sump/fuge which put out 300gph each for a total max of 600gph through the tank which should be enough considering its a 50x turnover an hour, or a full tank (excluding sump/fuges) turnover every 1.2 minutes.

For the books to hide the two sump/fuges, I found a website called books by the foot that sells different styles of books for decorative purposes, by the foot. So I am going to order a few feet of their "uniform sets" books since they are the only ones that will be large enough to cover the sump/fuges.

I was going to buy two 2.5 gallon tanks from petsmart to use as the sump/fuges but they were $15.99 each whereas a 10 gallon tank was $10, so I'm going to build them with either a piece of acrylic sheet I already have or make them out of glass from a cheap tank I can get at those $1 per gallon sales.

Archived