Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Shallow 60F - Edge of the Ocean

etane

CatfishSoupFTW

When i first got my RBTA, it was all tight and short like the one you have, but it eventually became elongated and string like. its getting good light, and I started spot feeding versus general tank feeding, and im seeing it bubble up again. feeding isnt a guarantee for bubbling but thats what I see going on.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When i first got my RBTA, it was all tight and short like the one you have, but it eventually became elongated and string like. its getting good light, and I started spot feeding versus general tank feeding, and im seeing it bubble up again. feeding isnt a guarantee for bubbling but thats what I see going on.

i was reading that they get most of their "energy" from light, so i wasn't feeding the rbta very much just mysis twice since i got it last week. but, now i am reading that a lot of owners spot feed their rbta whole shrimps and chopped up silversides. a bit confusing as to what to feed my rbta now as it's still small. but, it doesn't seem to like the mysis. at least, right now, the anemone doesn't seem to like a lot of light either. it keeps moving to the bottom part of the tank and face downwards. i've lowered the brightness on the light and it has since started facing upwards again.

the display tank is inundated with diatoms now. it started two weeks ago and has gradually spread from the top tip of my dead coral/live rock to the rest of my tank. my two fishes are in quarantine tank now leaving only the anemone and a nassarius snail in there. now is just a waiting game for diatoms to clear and for ick to die assuming that i do have ick in the tank.

note on feeding: neither the goby or clownfish are touching the mysis. so, i only feed it to the anemone now. i don't even know whether the anemone likes it. maybe just toss the mysis. no one likes it. clownfish loves rotifer and pellets now. and, i've only seen the goby swallow the thera A. it's body is somewhat transparent, so i could see the pellets inside it moving into it's stomach.

note on anemone: it didn't look that healthy a few days ago. the tips were thin and saw the gaping mouth thing. it's situation seems to have improved after i lowered the lighting and fed it some mysis. i also moved it to a different location which it then moved to a different location again before settling on the big fin on my main live rock. it looks healthier now but probably need to improve its diet and probably the water flow.

note on water flow: using the hydor pico 180 for now. it's good for circulating water but probably isn't keeping the anemone happy or good at pulling detritus off the sand (assuming other pumps/powerheads are better at this). so, i am keeping my eyes on how this ecotech mp10 vs gyre xf130 thing turns out. hopefully, mp10's price will drop like the mp40's did recently. and, not sure whether the xf130 at min. gph of about 200 will be too strong for my tank.

i think i will keep the saltwater tank sorta monochromatic. perhaps some purple/blue/green corals. got my eyes on bush acro but am reading about how difficult they are to keep. but don't nothing too flashy like rasta acid nuklear zoas or too flesh like leather, frog spawn or hammer. the bulb anemone i have right now is probably as colorful as i want the tank to get.

went to lfs after work. coral collections just moved from hb to lf. matt spent a good hour with me on tank set up. he thought having a protien skimmer will make a big difference. so, am looking into the shortest length protien skimmer out there. it will go into an 8" cube which will sit in a shelving with 13" interior height.

if i go this route, this means i'd have to be more committed in moving away from natural filtration and getting the protien skimmer, mame of and return pump. matt also recommended i get an ato. i didn't fully understand the explanation but something about keeping the protien skimmer working right requires stable water level.

i think tunze 9001 ...

Matt is a good guy. Tell him Lawn said hello next time you see him. Haven't talked to him in over a year.

Matt is a good guy. Tell him Lawn said hello next time you see him. Haven't talked to him in over a year.

will do. probably drop by in two weeks time.

----------------------------------------------------------------

just fed the anemone some cod. it's tentacles almost immediately inflated to full bulbous mode. i guess it likes it?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

just reading up on phosguard for the diatoms. i guess i can wait a few more weeks but, if it doesn't go away, maybe i will give phosguard a try. i got astrea snail after the diatoms were on my live rock. afterwards, the diatom exploded. it's probably the snail poop? i siphoned what i could but they are not easy to siphon.

update on quarantine tank. inserted a 100ml bag of purigen in the aqueon filter. 25% water change.

actually added an air stone in the tank last week, forgot to update that. it's an nag-aqua music diffuser. bought that for my freshwater tank a few years ago but never actually used it.

bad news is i lost my goby. the qt tank has a glass lid but has half an inch exposed for air exchange and room to run the power cords and air hose through. can't believe the goby made it through that small of an opening. well, it's a small fish. but, the chances of it getting out was pretty low it thought. it's jerky.

• 1 month later...

Been awhile since my last update.

So, what happened since...

I lost my picasso. It died like within the hour after I found him breathing heavy. With that, I lost both my first fish purchases, the picasso and the wyoming. The picasso was in my qt tank because i was worried the display tank had ich. qt tank is only 2 gallons. Picasso was in there for 2+ weeks. Might've been too long in the small tank and probably didn't change water enough.

Sorta neglected my tank for awhile, and my RBTA died as a result. It's head separated from it's body sorta like it got tired of living and decided to push the ejector button.

And, during my neglect of the tank and of this journal, the tank experienced diatoms and some algae. Finally, I had time to deal with the tank and tested the parameters. Off memory, ammonia, nitrate and nitrite were all barely detectable but carbonate was super low and ph was super high. No wonder the RBTA's head exploded.

Did a major water change. Parameters are much better now. Every major element is now within range. I also added Seachem Reef Builder to prevent major ph swings from occurring again.

Ever since, I bought a blue neon and a fire fish. And, the lfs where I bought my clownfishes originally replaced my Wyoming with another. Stoked!

And, I bought this Paly, so called Top Shelf:

DSC_6662.jpgTop Shelf Paly

Found the Katropora page and got fascinated with SPS. Didn't think my tank is capable of sustaining SPS since everything I've read about it says it's extremely difficult to keep. So, I bought a $15 SPS frag from LFS to test. This one is called a green Plana:

DSC_6666.jpgGreen Plana

After the plana stayed in my tank for 2 week without bleaching, I bought a maricultured green SPS. LFS didn't know what type it is exactly. And, SPS stayed alive for a week. So, I bought another coral, a Purple Bonsai:

DSC_6661.jpgPurple Bonsai w/ maricultured green sps in the back. (doesn't look green unless under actinic)

Somewhere in between, I also purchased an Australian green Torch. Also, acquired a second hand MP10 pump.

So, that's where I am at now.

DSC_6708.jpgFTS - Torch in the back. Maricultured SPS of unknown type in the middle.

DSC_6634.jpgMarine/Fresh

Fish.jpgWyoming and friend

Received a few corals this morning.

DSC_6734.jpgBlue Tip Aussie Acro

DSC_6735.jpgMixed Message Aussie Acro

DSC_6737.jpgPeach Blush Aussie Acro

I wish the store had more accurate coral names. The Peach one is a Millepora?

What's the difference between Aussie and corals from other regions anyways? What's their typical morphology? Difference in care?

Wish the frags came on disks rather than plugs. Already ordered some disks. I know it's a personal preference. But, I like them to sit on the bottom of the tank and have the sand cover the disks. This gives the tank more of that shallow reef feel I think.

Yeah, these two are kinda dead. :/

I was afraid so. These were kinda pale in the photos on the sellers' website to begin with, so I thought they'd color up a bit after a few days but hasn't yet. I did take pic of corals immediately after receiving them. Sent it to seller just now and see what happens.

Seller pics.

peach.jpg

AF%20M0138%2059%20Mixed%20Message%20Auss

Archived