inTank Media Baskets

Reduce phosphates: Refugium or some type of reactor?

jabeuy

I have 36g all in one style tank.

Currently I'm running some filter floss below the overflow and have a protein skimmer (tunze 9004).

There's an unused chamber in the back which measure about 2.5 gallons.

Would a refugium or some media reactor would be more effective at reducing phosphates? I've read on other threads that the fuge has to be some % of the display for it to be effective, yet I see many AIO tanks with just a small ball of chaeto in a media basket.

It takes a large amount of macro algae to make any large difference in phosphate levels. A reactor is the way to go on a nano. On setups with LARGE refugiums macro in conjunction with a reactor is common.

A gfo reactor will do the best in reducing po4. I had a nasty green film on rocks and on glass on my 75 and within 2 weeks it was clear of algae with gfo.

I still grow chaeto for copepods and etc. which is beneficial for the tank not for reducing nutrients.

It takes a large amount of macro algae to make any large difference in phosphate levels. A reactor is the way to go on a nano. On setups with LARGE refugiums macro in conjunction with a reactor is common.

Yeah, that's what I was thinking and was leaning towards getting a reactor or at least some media to put in a media rack.

What I don't understand is the small fuges people run on small tanks like nuvos. Where they have chaeto in a small media rack. Wonder if that's mostly for the other benefits of refugiums.

A gfo reactor will do the best in reducing po4. I had a nasty green film on rocks and on glass on my 75 and within 2 weeks it was clear of algae with gfo. I still grow chaeto for copepods and etc. which is beneficial for the tank not for reducing nutrients.

Thanks. Think I'm gonna pass on chaeto for now, since I'm looking to get phosphates down. Any experience with using gfo/phosban/etc. not in a reactor (ie. in a media rack instead)?

Thanks for the input.

Opted for a bag of phosguard, put into my overflow chamber right below some floss.

Cost $5, so... thought I'd try this before anything else haha.

Archived