inTank Media Baskets

Vertex Omega 130 vs Bubble Magus curve 5

Smithjm5

I would actually go with the reef octopus prime 150, looks like a vertex/royal exclusiv but performs the same if not better imo, and it has a decent price tag. The BM is good but the build quality, performance, and warranty of the other two are superior id say.

I would actually go with the reef octopus prime 150, looks like a vertex/royal exclusiv but performs the same if not better imo, and it has a decent price tag. The BM is good but the build quality, performance, and warranty of the other two are superior id say.

I'll have to check that one out, thanks for the suggestion!

or go with a SeaSide Aquatics ES5.

basically the Curve 5 but with a Sicce pump like the Vertex 130 uses.

Yeah, that was the original skimmer I was going to get but then BRS went and put the Vertex 130 on sale for $200

BRS Vertex Omega 130 + $200 = DUH!

Lol it's hard to argue with that math but, honestly the only thing keeping me from pulling the trigger on the Vertex is that I keep hearing how temperamental they are and that they take forever to dial in and tune properly.

Nope, not true.

I have the 150. Awesome machine. No ill temper. Just went to quietly making foam with no breaking time.

Well built product. Makes the BMCurve5 seem like a toy in comparison.

Ill make you a deal. We can do it today before BRS runs out of 130's.

You can have my BMCurve5 for $100 + shipping.

And I'll swap the BMC5 out for the Vertex 130, on my tank.

Win win?

Nope, not true.

I have the 150. Awesome machine. No ill temper. Just went to quietly making foam with no breaking time.

Well built product. Makes the BMCurve5 seem like a toy in comparison.

Ill make you a deal. We can do it today before BRS runs out of 130's.

You can have my BMCurve5 for $100 + shipping.

And I'll swap the BMC5 out for the Vertex 130, on my tank.

Win win?

Well now that you're saying it doesn't have an ill temper it's putting me back towards the vertex lol. That's a nice offer though, but through more research I found out the curve 5 needs a higher water line in the sump of 9.5" on the low end and my sump is at about 8" so I think that might be crossed out as a possible skimmer. Either way i'll be ordering which ever I decide to get on friday when I get paid so I'll let ya'll know what I pick. Thanks for the offer though Farkwar haha

You adjust the water line in the skimmer with the wedge pipe.

My BMC5 is at 8 inches. Just right. Not trying to talk you out of the Vertex.

But thats not true.

I wouldnt wait til Friday to decide.

Last year the Vertex stuff sold out early.

I waited too long, myself. Bought the 150 at retail.

I hate paying retail.

I wouldnt wait til Friday to decide.

Last year the Vertex stuff sold out early.

I waited too long, myself. Bought the 150 at retail.

I hate paying retail.

If I could I wouldn't wait haha, lets just hope I get lucky :wacko:

I am also a vertex fan (now)and the deals are crazy at BRS. Picked up the 180i 2 weeks before went on sale. BRS is awesome and gave me the difference in store credit. But it has not been touchy at all. I didn't preclean it with anything but RO water, left the cup off and let it overflow overnight, set it once and it's been going ever since. Not touched it in two weeks besides clean the cup out twice.

Just ordered the vertex, thought I'd let y'all know! Guess they had more in stock this year!

I had to try the 180i. For a future build. Worst comes to worst, I'll bump out the BMC5 (which is at max bioload on my 40b frag tank now), drop in the 180i. Put the BMC5 up for sale in a couple weeks.

I really dont think youll be dissatisfied with the 130 Vertex.

I picked up an SWC 160 at a frag swap for cheap, that skimmer is awesome at skimmate production. It just doesnt have the build quality of the Vertex.

I had to try the 180i. For a future build. Worst comes to worst, I'll bump out the BMC5 (which is at max bioload on my 40b frag tank now), drop in the 180i. Put the BMC5 up for sale in a couple weeks. I really dont think youll be dissatisfied with the 130 Vertex. I picked up an SWC 160 at a frag swap for cheap, that skimmer is awesome at skimmate production. It just doesnt have the build quality of the Vertex.

I was watching a video on the 180i just today it's a beast! But i'm really excited for the 130, should be here Wednesday, but I won't be able to actually set it up for awhile... I'll just drool over it lol

Archived