Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

IM Nuvo 40 - Filter Media Advice

NYfishies

Hello,

I am a bit confused about the use of Chemi Pure Elite, Purigen and PhosBan.

I have a 40 gallon IM Nuvo all in one mixed reef tank with about 35 lbs of live rock and 30 lbs of live sand. I upgraded the media baskets to the larger Custom Caddy's.

In one chamber there is a small refugium with Chaeto. The main reason for this is to maintain low nitrates, stabilize the pH throughout the day and provide a home for pods to breed.

In the other chamber I am using a 100 ml bag of Purigen and the stock mechanical, activated carbon, and phosphate sponges that came with my IM Nuvo. I also use a filter pad.

I was planning on switching the mechanical sponge to filter floss, the phosphate sponge to PhosBan and the activated carbon sponge to Chemi Pure Elite while keeping the Purigen bag and the filter pad. Would this not be a good combo? I do not have a media reactor, but I do have a protein skimmer.

Also, what do you use for filter floss?

Thanks for any help!

I use 100% polyester pillow stuffing from Walmart (same stuff, 1/3 the price), and the combo is sound, just be careful you don't strip the water to clean.

Appreciate the prompt response! I have read about stripping the water too clean as you mention. Would it be possible for you to explain what you mean a bit further? I've read about stripping things like too much calcium from the water which is obviously bad and I have also read about making the clarity of the water too clear too fast thus too much light penetrating the colors in a short period of time. Should I add the Chemi Pure 1 week and the PhosBan the next rather than both at the same time?

Appreciate the prompt response! I have read about stripping the water too clean as you mention. Would it be possible for you to explain what you mean a bit further? I've read about stripping things like too much calcium from the water which is obviously bad and I have also read about making the clarity of the water too clear too fast thus too much light penetrating the colors in a short period of time. Should I add the Chemi Pure 1 week and the PhosBan the next rather than both at the same time?

I apologize, I should have elaborated. By too clean, I mean bringing phosphates and nitrates down to absolute zero, which would have negative effects on nearly every inhabitant aside from the fish. You always want to maintain at least trace amounts of both for a variety of reasons that would require a lot more elaboration than a simple post. It's an issue most commonly encountered with GFO/biopellet reactors,and you should honestly be relatively safe considering the amount of media versus the volume of the tank, but since it's still so new it is an unlikely, but preferably avoided, situation. I wouldn't worry too much, it's more a "bear this in mind"piece of advice from some one who's been there.

snowflake_clown

I have the same tank as you and I currently use the following for filtration.

(2) IM Custom Media Basket's

Top Chambers:

Mechanical Sponges (Eschopps LSF sponges cut to size)

Filter floss (from drs. foster and smith, but I'm sure lots of people sell it) directly underneath the mechanical spong...again cut to exact size of the basket

Middle Chambers:

Left side: Seachem Matrix 100ml packet

Right side: Seachem Phosgaurd in nylon mesh bag

Bottom Chambers:

Seachem Purigen 100ml on both left and right side

I use Aqua Vitro's Salinity salt mix, and I was having issues with it being a bit cloudy. Called their support and they were the ones who recommended adding in the filter floss. Worked like a charm.

No bio-reactor, but I do have the midsize ghost skimmer as well. 10% water changes once a week. Ammonia and nitrites are always at 0ppm, nitrates are <5ppm even right before water changes.

I'm new to the hobby, so I'm sure someone may have more tenured advice, but it's working for me great and all of my water parameters are doing good.

Archived