Top Shelf Aquatics

10 gallon reef stocking idea- need help

Justfishing189

Justfishing189

Can someone please tell me if this stocking would be ok for a 10 gallon nano reef. I understand fully I have to add the live stock over a long period of time. So yes I do understand.

-2 orcelius clowns (one black, one orange)

-1 watchman goby

Thanks for any feedback guys and keep Reefing!:)

I would not add the clowns honestly. I have a pair in my biocube 29 and want to get a larger tank for them. I would do a watchman goby/pistol pair and maybe a fire fish. Just not sure the clowns would be happy for a lifetime in a 10 gallon.

What tank did you get? I just go the Fusion 10.

I would not do two clowns and a goby in a 10 gallon. I had 2 in a 20 gallon, but one jumped. I now have just the one and just added a Royal Gramma just a couple days ago.

From my research, I think I could safely add another fish of some sort, but I like to error on the side of caution and keep the bio-load low. I don't run a skimmer so I rely on my weekly water changes to keep everything in check.

If this is your first saltwater tank ever clowns are hardy enough they'll take some mistakes. Don't go true percs, try to stay with the tank raised ones. Add them at the same time if at all possible, after the proper cycling. Depending on what you're doing for filtration make sure you don't overfeed. Over time one will become the female and be bigger than the other...expect some aggressive during the transition.

• 2 years later...

​I think in my opinion that you shouldn't add the clowns but if you must you should definitely go with the ocellaris clownfish and you should add them both at the same time. But I still think that you should keep the goby and add a pistol shrimp for him and you should either add a fire fish or a blenny or even both.

2 clowns is pushing it in a 10g. They don't stay that small and do create a lot of waste. The only good thing is, they are hardy and don't swim around a whole lot

I have 1 bicolor dottyback in my 10g, i wouldn't consider adding another fish.

You could do a firefish and a watchman as they stay relatively small. Or clown goby.

I would advise 3 fish in a 10g.

Wouldn't advise 3

Plenty of people have stocked similar or the same - so it can be done, even if temporarily. There is a risk of high bioload and a less stable system though. Also aggression could become an issue in a smaller tank.

IMO I would stick with just the 2 clowns. If later on you decide that the tank is doing very well and you want to up the challenge you could add the watchman goby later.

Good luck.

Archived