SaltCritters.com

Adding invertebrates to a refugium?

SiRhk

I have never had a refugium before in the couple years of reef keeping, but I think I know the necessary to consider trying one out. My main question at the moment is, is the macro algae that you add the only living thing that should be living on your refugium? I have read that it depends on what you want your refugium do for you, but what if I want it to have to functions? I want it to be for nutrient up take an a settling area where stuff that I dont want can be eaten by something? So that takes me back to the main question, can invertebrates such as hermit crabs, maybe a star or other critters live in the same place as the macro algae?

I put a brittle sea star in my HOB refugium (aquafuge, the largest one) because he ate my cleaner shrimp. Therefore I really don't care if he surviives :) just kidding.

A lot of people use refugiums for extra space if one of their fish becomes agressive, etc. I wouldn't use it for either a quarentine (for new animals) or a hospital tank for medicine application (obviously).

So in other words it seems very OK to house invertebrates and other animals if need be.

I put a brittle sea star in my HOB refugium (aquafuge, the largest one) because he ate my cleaner shrimp. Therefore I really don't care if he surviives :) just kidding.

A lot of people use refugiums for extra space if one of their fish becomes agressive, etc. I wouldn't use it for either a quarentine (for new animals) or a hospital tank for medicine application (obviously).

So in other words it seems very OK to house invertebrates and other animals if need be.

Thanks

Archived