Innovative Marine Aquariums

Aquavitro Salinity better than IO RC?

ManGups

I have always used IO reef crystals from day 1 and am pretty happy with it.

I have on couple of occasion mixed for 2 hrs and used it in my tank.

I have mixed it for 2 days and then used it

I have mixed and stored it over a month and used it

on all 3 occasions it have worked very well for me.

I recently visited a couple LFS's and two of them have been suggested switching to Aquavitro Salinity... reason more stable on elements and the corals look better/more colored up.

I see the LFS selling the 225 Gallon bucket for 90 USD. IO RC is only 63 USD on amazon for a 200 gallon box so this is quite a bit if difference in the price of the 2 salt mixes.

Anyone can chime in on this?

no reason to change mixes if you're happy. There's plenty of other reasons why the lfs corals may look better (lighting, feeding, nutrients, dosing).

As long as you are using a decent salt mix, and IO is certainly an awesome one - hundreds of public aquariums use it, any salt band is going to be perfectly fine. The best salt mix for my tank is most likely going to be different from the best salt mix for your tank - the reason being that you want a salt mix that has parameters as close to your tank as possible, keeping any spikes in parameters to a minimum when doing a water change.

Pick a salt and stick with it - stability is the key to coloration. Pick any salt randomly then go to a bigger national forum and you will be able to find dozens of amazing, colorful tanks using that salt mix. Stability, good lighting, and reasonable nutrient levels are the key to good color and growth - not a salt mix.

Archived