SaltCritters.com

Jay Wee's Coral Crib (Fluval M60)

Jay Wee

Great looking tank. Colors are popping. I been looking into the Fluval M series, and really like what you have done with the M60. My clown looks just like yours and he's also a bastard that tried to kill the smaller clown I want him to pair with.

Another good looking tank. And another slick stand - where's this one hail from?

Any photos taken of your 70g on its best day? The current thread pics on show it with water/rock/sand.

Oh, and welcome back!

Thanks man! This is a fluval M60 full system. Loving it so far. My 70g is taken down and sold. I might have some pics when it was up ad running. When I find it i'll post it up.

Thanks! This is a Fluval M60 system. Loving it! My 70g is sold. But I might have pics when it was loaded with livestock. Gotta find it.

Great looking tank. Colors are popping. I been looking into the Fluval M series, and really like what you have done with the M60. My clown looks just like yours and he's also a bastard that tried to kill the smaller clown I want him to pair with.

Maybe your clown and mine are meant to be together. 2 killer bastards might just hit it off well, haha.

Thanks Brad. Now its fixed. No no to chinese characters.

Very nice "downgrade" here Jay...I like the livestock choices and concept you got goin' on. BB FTW! B)

Do I spy a webcam or some sort of CCTV camera above the tank? :ninja:

Very nice "downgrade" here Jay...I like the livestock choices and concept you got goin' on. BB FTW! B)

Do I spy a webcam or some sort of CCTV camera above the tank? :ninja:

Haha sup dude. BB FTW!!!! My detritus gets collected in the exact same spot on the right like yours. Love BB. I wish I put a black mat under so debris is less visible. Totally forgot about it. Now its too late.

Hell yah. I got 2 web cams. One for display and one for rear chambers. I am super paranoid of flooding. Can never 100% trust the ATO. I already have my Apex Leak Detector in placed on black of tank and on floor. With the webcam, it's just secondary security. I am gonna paint it gray though.. to blend into the wall so its less of an eyesore.

this thread needs more pictures. and finally i can get to page 2. how do you like the stock light compared to the razor? i was very surprised and impressed by the stock light when i saw it over the M90.

Yes It needs more pictures! I will update soon. I still need to transfer all my corals from my 70g. They're now in the quarantine tank. Once I do that I will snap some new pics!

I got the bigger 27" Razor and its way too big on top of this tank. When I look at my tank all I see are the lights. Stock lights been great so far. I was using two stock lights but sold one of them. I do love the Fluval lights. They are surprisingly good. I also have a Kessil a360we. I will probably switch to that. I need a light that I can program. And the new Kessils can be hooked up to my Apex. But I never really liked the aesthetic of the Kessil and the gooseneck.

I am drooling for Dave's Nano Box Duo. It'll be perfect and I love that you can customize the color of the casing. I just need to sell all my other lights lying around to fund for the Nano Box.

Did it come with two stock lights?

Nanobox Duo is awesome. I have it over my 12 gallon now, and I still mess with the LED colors week to week just for the hell of it. I was originally planning on getting the M90 but I will need a Nanobox Quad for that. Maybe I will go with the M60 instead....

No it should come with one but for some reason I got 2. Guess Fluval likes me very much. :) Yeah man go for the M60. If you're gnna go bigger don't bother with AIO. With the bigger real estate might as well do a sump. Or wait for the Red Sea's new reefer system. It's gonna be dope. I might jump on that. OH NO! another tank upgrade. :D

Hey man, tank is looking good! I've always thought Fluval was one of the best "bang for your buck" brands because their stuff actually works really well! Can't wait to see it grow out.

I agree I love fluvall products I have the edge and although the light is underpowered I love it it's sleek and the filter is powerful

• 3 weeks later...

I'm thinking of getting this tank you mentioned to ninja to get it and not bother with AIOs? Is this not AIO. I know it has a drainage valve but can that be used to add a dump. I would be interested in sumping it if you have info on that.

I've already taken this tank down. I started a slightly bigger tank cuz I had too much corals and it was overcrowded. And I fell in love with the Mame overflow and had to build a super clean concept tank. :).

But I did really like the Fluval M60. It is an AIO. Its a great tank. The valve can be easily modded to work in a sump. I know someone on youtube mod it with a canister filter. really interesting. If you're in NYC I would sell it to you at a great price.

• 4 weeks later...

Hello Jay,

I'm looking to get a M60 (because my LFS is selling it for a good price), but have some questions about your setup.

You've added a media basket in the 1st compartment. How does the water flow through, especially the bottom if you didn't customize the compartments default flow ?

I've seen this Fluval Marine light has a 3-positions manual switch, how did you deal with it (timer + switch in day position ?) ? is this light enough to keep easy LPS/SPS ?

Thank you very much for help.

Anthony.

Hey Jae Wee, what are the measurements of those plexi glasses that you used on the chamber and what kind of glue did you use as well?.. thanks

Hey that wasn't me. I just attached that as reference for whoever might wanna modify the chambers to improve flow.

Hello Jay,

I'm looking to get a M60 (because my LFS is selling it for a good price), but have some questions about your setup.

You've added a media basket in the 1st compartment. How does the water flow through, especially the bottom if you didn't customize the compartments default flow ?

I've seen this Fluval Marine light has a 3-positions manual switch, how did you deal with it (timer + switch in day position ?) ? is this light enough to keep easy LPS/SPS ?

Thank you very much for help.

Anthony.

Hey Anthony I've taken down my fluval m60 and set up a bigger tank but I'll answer your questions best I can.

I did add a im nuvo24 basket but it doesn't work well. It sits too high and blocks the overflow in the first chamber. And it's pointless cuz the water doesn't flow down so purigen and chemi pure isn't fully utilize with water passing through. I would recommend u modify the back chamber if u gonna use media like that. But if u just gonna use skimmer, reactor, heater, probe and stuff then it's fine.

The lights are great for that price point. The blue really makes your coral pop. It's great for LPS and also SPS if mount higher. I had my birdsnest, Sentosa and psamacora in the Fluval and they were doing well and colors were popping. U also need good flow. I had the fluval wave pump that came with the tank and also additional jebao wp10. I had it on a 12 he cycle timer. I somehow got delivered 2 lights haha lucky me! so I had one on 8hr switch to white and one for 4 hr switched to blue and it worked out perfect. If u just have one u have to manual switch it.

Archived