inTank Media Baskets

New tank, new to the forums

tentacruelz

Hey guys, I'm new here and just want to introduce myself… I am back to the hobby after maybe 5-6 years off.. I've had a few nano reefs (10gal) but Im back with 12g nano cube. Its been going for about a week and currently have a pair of occy clownfish, 4 crabs and 2 snails… My levels are good, started out with 12 # live rock and ~17 pounds live sand.. So far all is good, only concerns has been keep a constant temp, I'm going to mess with the fans and possibly upgrade them to cool it down a little. I plan to maybe do some mods to the tank as we go along. Anyway, any advice from fellow nano cube users its totally welcome, if not, just wanted to say hi, I'll be around!

post-86196-0-71782100-1414688387_thumb.jpg

Welcome to NR! Cool set up.

Curious as to why you have fish after only a week though? Did everything come from an already established reef tank?

Welcome! I too am somewhat curious. Typically, it takes at least 2-3 weeks for a proper nitrogen cycle to establish.

Other than that, cool set up. Very natural looking rockwork.

Pretty much skipped a typical nitrogen cycle..The rock came from an established tank, not the sand.. Levels were pretty much perfect in 2 days.

Gets to 81 sometimes.. Since the weather is getting cold, its easier to regulate the temp.. I'm at an average of 80.2 pretty much all day. Did you get one of those jebo multi fans?? I know in the summer months its going to be more difficult to regulate temp so I'm going to need something like you. Which fan do you use? Also thinking of upgrading the stock fans, and possibly flipping one around to create kinda an intake and exhaust.

For now, I like where my temps are and everything in the tank is happy. Although, my female clown is kinda obsessed with the curved corners of the tank.. I think she can see her reflection or something and at certain times of the day swim at it and like chase it..

For sure, I want to do some corals. I'm not super experienced in corals as I've only kept some mushrooms, xenia and toad stool in the passed. I'll definitely be looking for suggestions on a couple beginner corals that do well in a tank my size, so if anyone has an suggestions I'd love to hear them.. As far as live stock I probably won't do much more than a couple more crabs and possibly a goby.

But seriously, My female clown fish is obsessed with what I think is her reflection, has anyone experienced anything like this. She like attacks the glass for a good portion of the day. The male could care less, he just kinda watches like, "what the hell are doing?" Hoping she eventually grows out of it because it throws off the calmness of the tank at times.

Gets to 81 sometimes.. Since the weather is getting cold, its easier to regulate the temp.. I'm at an average of 80.2 pretty much all day. Did you get one of those jebo multi fans?? I know in the summer months its going to be more difficult to regulate temp so I'm going to need something like you. Which fan do you use? Also thinking of upgrading the stock fans, and possibly flipping one around to create kinda an intake and exhaust.

For now, I like where my temps are and everything in the tank is happy. Although, my female clown is kinda obsessed with the curved corners of the tank.. I think she can see her reflection or something and at certain times of the day swim at it and like chase it..

Yes I got Jebo fans and have been running it for about 8 months now. The fan runs fine your temps tire isn't too bad right now it about what mine are. Before I got the fan maybe it would get as high as 88.

Just over a week in.. Levels are all good.. Nitrate is just slightly higher than I'd like but I just did my first water change of about a gallon, so I'm hoping that will help a little.. Everyone in the tank is happy. I've got a little brownish algae growing, assuming its diatom..

current inhabitants:

2 dwarf yellow tip hermit

2 blue leg hermit

4 astraea snails

1 skunk cleaner

2 ocellaris clowns

Plan to add an emerald crab sometime soon and that should be it for a while.

Let me know what you guys think

post-86196-0-56365500-1415150516_thumb.jpg

Archived