Cultivated Reef

New salt water tank

ilowe8

Ihave recently (4 days ago) set up my first salt water tank in a fluval spec 5 gallon tank with salt water i bought from the local fish shop, i have also had 2 kilo of live rock in as well.

i was told to leave this for 4 weeks to allow to cycle topping up with RO water when needed, then after a water test at the end of 4 weeks to add maybe a few snails and crabs to clean things up then to add a fish or 2 a week later then if all is ok things should be fine to add a few corals, changing a 10% water every week testing the water as required.

could some body tell me if the info i have received is correct or not and if not can i have some good advice on what to do.

many thank in advance Ian.

You shouldn't do any water changes during the cycle. You should top off with distilled water over RO as well.

If you have live sand/cured live rock it's possible you won't even have a cycle (or a very short one).

Best bet is to wait at least a few weeks and then test your levels.

I am curious as to why distilled would be better than RODI for top off?

There's a difference between RO water and RODi water... If you're going to use RODi that would be better than distilled.

Yes I am fully aware of the differences between Reverse Osmosis treated water and Reverse Osmosis treated / De-ionized water. Thank you. My question was to cju84 in regards to why distilled would be better.

Yes I am fully aware of the differences between Reverse Osmosis treated water and Reverse Osmosis treated / De-ionized water. Thank you. My question was to cju84 in regards to why distilled would be better.

RO/DI>Distilled>RO

Distilled is better than RO because RO still has TDS.. Distilled is not better than RO/DI, but RO/DI isn't neccessarily better than distilled either (for example, if the DI is depleted or the membrane is exhausted)..

if you read his post, he says "You should top off with distilled water over RO as well," which is correct, distilled is better than RO. neither he or the OP referenced RO/DI.

No argument here. :). Just curious is all.

RO/DI>Distilled>RO

Distilled is better than RO because RO still has TDS.. Distilled is not better than RO/DI, but RO/DI isn't neccessarily better than distilled either (for example, if the DI is depleted or the membrane is exhausted)..

if you read his post, he says "You should top off with distilled water over RO as well," which is correct, distilled is better than RO. neither he or the OP referenced RO/DI.

Those were my thought as well. I figured that if the OP was getting the water from his LFS then t s very likely that it is actually RO/DI rather than just RO. But my question still stands, what about distiller water is better than RO water? I am not trying to argue, just gain some knowledge.

Because distilled water is more pure than RO water.

this isn't helping my question in regards to adding life to my tank in the form of snails/crabs ect, is it best i add these before fish and corals.

thanks

Decent advice they gave you except for the 1 or two fish... Maybe one small fish like a goby, other than that and it would be pushing it for bioload and animal cruelty... haha

this isn't helping my question in regards to adding life to my tank in the form of snails/crabs ect, is it best i add these before fish and corals.

thanks

Get a cheap test kit, API for example. Test for ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate.

When your ammonia and nitrites are getting processed and nitrates are rising. Do a 50% water change, then your tank is cycled. Don't really think you need to add a source of ammonia, because you probably have die off already. There are hundreds of videos on YouTube about the nitrogen cycle, bulk reef supply and vivid aquariums were the first ones I watched.

Yes, most people add a clean up crew first to take care of the diatom algae that is created during the cycle. Is it mandatory.... No. But losing a $1 snail is better than losing a fish, if your tank isn't properly cycled.

Get a cheap test kit, API for example. Test for ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate.

When your ammonia and nitrites are getting processed and nitrates are rising. Do a 50% water change, then your tank is cycled. Don't really think you need to add a source of ammonia, because you probably have die off already. There are hundreds of videos on YouTube about the nitrogen cycle, bulk reef supply and vivid aquariums were the first ones I watched.

Yes, most people add a clean up crew first to take care of the diatom algae that is created during the cycle. Is it mandatory.... No. But losing a $1 snail is better than losing a fish, if your tank isn't properly cycled.

+1 on the test kits, it's better to have your water tested and knowing the progress of your water parameters rather than just based on observation to tell on the completion of the nitrogen cycle when you're still new in this hobby (done it, regretted, lost a fish).

Just to add to the water argument, whether it's RO, distilled or RO/DI water you're using its still a hell of a lot better than tap water. Its just that some people get really anal about how pure they want their water and will spend stupid money on purification systems..

Archived