inTank Media Baskets

The I have no idea what I'm doing CADLIGHTS 8 build!

chanathon

That is catalaphyllia jardinei, a type of LPS. You might try giving it a an iodine dip, but chances are she's a goner. They are notorious for dying.

Thanks for the ID. Unfortunately, we had a power outtage yesterday while I was out of work. If there was any chance of my elegance coral improving, it's pretty much shot to hell now :( . First loss in this tank!

Hmm, spoke too soon. Everything in this tank is in rebound mode, including the elegance coral. It spat out a bunch of cloudy substance and is still hanging in there. Keeping my fingers crossed!

You should definitely get a battery back up for your powerhead. Vertex makes one for their power heads but those things are incredibly expensive. You're better off with one like the one you linked earlier from newegg.

• 4 weeks later...

Welp, seems like I only post when I need help :( . The Elegence Coral unfortunately doesn't look like it'll make it. For the past few weeks it would open, close, open, close...and then all of a sudden it inflated like a balloon and then suddenly imploded. It's still in my tank but I'm probably going to take it out. Live and Learn I guess. Serves me right for jumping the gun on that coral.

Anyways, these little stalky red things are starting to sprout all over my tank. They're short right now but I can really see growth over the past few weeks. They also have this weird stringy stuff coming off the tips of some. Can anyone ID these? Should I be worried?

IMG_1776_zpsmuzzslyd.jpg

IMG_1777_zpsqmotp8af.jpg

I also decided to move the dying elegence coral down to the sand and look what I see peeking out from inside the liverock.....is this Apistasia??? Had it been stinging my elegence coral this entire time?

IMG_1778_zpskmmhglid.jpg

Anyways, these little stalky red things are starting to sprout all over my tank. They're short right now but I can really see growth over the past few weeks. They also have this weird stringy stuff coming off the tips of some. Can anyone ID these? Should I be worried?

IMG_1776_zpsmuzzslyd.jpg

IMG_1777_zpsqmotp8af.jpg

Vermetid snails. That stringy stuff is what they use to catch food particles in the water and then haul it back in their tubes. My tank is riddled with them. I can really see them active when I do a water change and stir up a lot of particles. Apart from being unsightly, sometimes irritating the corals and occasionally scraping myself on their hard tubes when I do some tank work, they don't really pose any major problem for me. I remove them with tweezers when I can reach them. If I just snap off the tubes, they'll grow back so I need to remove the entire snail from the rock or wherever they're encrusted on.

I also decided to move the dying elegence coral down to the sand and look what I see peeking out from inside the liverock.....is this Apistasia??? Had it been stinging my elegence coral this entire time?

IMG_1778_zpskmmhglid.jpg

Could be Aiptasia but if it is, I don't think it's wholly responsible for your elegance's poor health. An elegance is known to have a pretty powerful sting itself and I think it would be a match for a small Aiptasia, if not more so. How's it doing, by the way?

• 2 weeks later...

Huh! I would've never guessed them to be snails as they're pretty stationary. Good to know!

As for the Elegence Coral, I officially removed and tossed it yesterday. I was really hoping it'd pull through because the colors on it were amazing! oh well...at least this will free up some real estate!

I've done some rearranging and letting everything settle down before picking up any new corals. Ever since the Elegence started deteriorating, my Frogspawn hasn't completely opened up, my shroom's all shrivelled up....but everything else is doing fine. Kenya tree even threw out some babies somehow.

I'm also really still contemplating a goby/shrimp combo. I am still unsure about space limitations as I have one clownfish and 3 sexy shrimp in there now. Inputs?

Archived