inTank Media Baskets

Water Changes

Wjcastiglione

Wjcastiglione

Ok Guys, I'm new to SW - so this may be a dumb question -

however, everybodies new once so please don't flame me.

When I do water changes, do I want to put the same amount of salt in the water as when first mixed? Will salt remain in the tank still? or is it just as straight forward as the same amount as always?

michaelrzachmann

Top off the tank with fresh RO/DI water so the tank has the desired salinity (i like 1.025) and then syphon out the water for desired water change, and then fill the tank with the new RO/DI salt water with the desired salinity

Wjcastiglione

Top off the tank with fresh RO/DI water so the tank has the desired salinity (i like 1.025) and then syphon out the water for desired water change, and then fill the tank with the new RO/DI salt water with the desired salinity

I'm sorry, michael, I didn't get that. Run it by me one more time?

Yes, mix up the new water at the same salinity as you started with. Over time you may notice a slight increase or decrease in salinity due to things like salt creep, skimming wet, high TDS RO/DI or source water or adding a bit too much but it is easy to adjust or scale up or down on the salt when that time comes. For the most part it will remain pretty steady.

Wjcastiglione
Yes, mix up the new water at the same salinity as you started with. Over time you may notice a slight increase or decrease in salinity due to things like salt creep, skimming wet, high TDS RO/DI or source water or adding a bit too much but it is easy to adjust or scale up or down on the salt when that time comes. For the most part it will remain pretty steady.

Thank you, sir!

-Invest in an automatic top off system like jbj.

-Invest in an RO/DI system

1) fill a bucket up with ro/di water, time it so you know exactly how long it takes to fill it up. Always time it to that amount so its consistent.

2) put salt in it, test it, more salt, test, remember how much salt you put in for that amount of water and match the salinity in your tank

3) put a heater in there and a pump to circulate the water so it won't be stagnant.

4) i prepare my water a few days ahead and just let it sit.

5) once a week for my 20gallon long, I would TURN OFF MY ATO, use another bucket, siphon the water into the bucket thats at the same level as your premixed salt water.

6) attach the siphon hose to the pump thats in your bucket and pump it back into your tank.

7) plug back ATO, top off with ro/di water if needed.

Throughout the week when water evaporates, the ATO will maintain the proper water level and salinity. Definitely a great investment for consistency in your tank. ;)

Note: You won't necessarily be mixing water days in advance. Check the manufacturer's instructions, and check others' experiences. Some salts do best when mixed for maybe .5-1 hour in advance.

And when you siphon out water, try to vacuum the sandbed a bit as well. If you have a shallow one (1-2 in), work on different sections at a time and try to get all the way down there. If it's a deep sandbed, just go for the top .5in, not the entire depth. You don't ever want to vacuum your entire sandbed at once, but rotating so it all gets cleaned over time is good.

Wjcastiglione

-Invest in an automatic top off system like jbj.

-Invest in an RO/DI system

1) fill a bucket up with ro/di water, time it so you know exactly how long it takes to fill it up. Always time it to that amount so its consistent.

2) put salt in it, test it, more salt, test, remember how much salt you put in for that amount of water and match the salinity in your tank

3) put a heater in there and a pump to circulate the water so it won't be stagnant.

4) i prepare my water a few days ahead and just let it sit.

5) once a week for my 20gallon long, I would TURN OFF MY ATO, use another bucket, siphon the water into the bucket thats at the same level as your premixed salt water.

6) attach the siphon hose to the pump thats in your bucket and pump it back into your tank.

7) plug back ATO, top off with ro/di water if needed.

Throughout the week when water evaporates, the ATO will maintain the proper water level and salinity. Definitely a great investment for consistency in your tank. ;)

How much water loss can I expect right from the get go on this tank? I made a pretty good DIY ATO when I had a 55G freshwater set up, and I'm thinking I want to do the same on this tank, however, I don't think I'll be able to get to it for a couple weeks. What are you thinking? Can I swing it - or should I make one ASAP?

How much water loss can I expect right from the get go on this tank? I made a pretty good DIY ATO when I had a 55G freshwater set up, and I'm thinking I want to do the same on this tank, however, I don't think I'll be able to get to it for a couple weeks. What are you thinking? Can I swing it - or should I make one ASAP?

You should be fine just pouring in fresh water to top off daily. Just make a note of your water line and refill to that level whenever it drops an amount you can notice. I do about 0.5 gal a day on my 29gal with an open top

You really don't NEED it, but it sure makes life oh so much easier. The jbj ATO and a cobalt MJ600,900,1200; depending on how far the reservoir is to the tank could be no more than $100 bucks. Manual top offs are fine. Just note what chronic said about marking a line

I go through 5 gallons in 4 days in evap. I top off with an ato. Ato imo are one of the best investments in this hobby. It maintains stability and let's you go on vacations.

Wjcastiglione

Sourced a brand new hydor ATO locally on the cheap today. Going to go pick it up tomorrow. Whooooo.. this tank has gotten expensive quickly... started at $150 - upwards of $800 now and I don't even have water in it. Hopefully I'm done now.

Do you guys keep a powerhead in the ATO reservoir? how about a heater?

I go through 5 gallons in 4 days in evap. I top off with an ato. Ato imo are one of the best investments in this hobby. It maintains stability and let's you go on vacations.

You really don't NEED it, but it sure makes life oh so much easier. The jbj ATO and a cobalt MJ600,900,1200; depending on how far the reservoir is to the tank could be no more than $100 bucks. Manual top offs are fine. Just note what chronic said about marking a line

Sourced a brand new hydor ATO locally on the cheap today. Going to go pick it up tomorrow. Whooooo.. this tank has gotten expensive quickly... started at $150 - upwards of $800 now and I don't even have water in it. Hopefully I'm done now.

Do you guys keep a powerhead in the ATO reservoir? how about a heater?

Nope, no movement or heater. It's RO/DI water, it shouldn't need circulation. You could make it so the output is added to the tank just before the heater's section, of course, but your evaporation shouldn't be so high that an ATO could cause temperature shock. Unless it's a pico or something.

Wjcastiglione

One more thing :welcome: to nano reef

Thank you, sir! happy to be here with this knowledagable, helpful community. Hopefully I'll know enough I can chip in at some point in time.

Nope, no movement or heater. It's RO/DI water, it shouldn't need circulation. You could make it so the output is added to the tank just before the heater's section, of course, but your evaporation shouldn't be so high that an ATO could cause temperature shock. Unless it's a pico or something.

Wait wait wait, just so I'm clear - I don't need to add salt to the ATO reservoir?

Def no salt. When water from your tank evaporates, it leaves behind salt raising your salinity. You need to displace the evaporated water with fresh so it balances the rise in salinity from the evaporation.

All I keep in there is the ATO sensor, the pump with vinyl tubing back into the tank or sump. No heater necessary

Wjcastiglione

Atrox,

See above. Sourced a local hydor ATO unit and pump. Going to pick it up tomorrow from local seller.

Def no salt. When water from your tank evaporates, it leaves behind salt raising your salinity. You need to displace the evaporated water with fresh so it balances the rise in salinity from the evaporation.

All I keep in there is the ATO sensor, the pump with vinyl tubing back into the tank or sump. No heater necessary

Glad I asked that question! omgomgomg Thank you, sir.

Archived