Innovative Marine Aquariums

CaCl2 and MgCl2 in the same container

xlzerolx

I have read that calcium will precipitate out (as calcium sulfate) if magnesium sulfate and calcium chloride are mixed together. I am assuming that mixing magnesium chloride and calcium chloride will not have this precipitate effect, correct?

I want to mix in magnesium chloride with calcium chloride of the DIY 2 part? If so what ratio would you mix the 2 in. Or, if anyone knows the ratio of magnesium to calcium uptake of corals? I'm trying to save $$$ on dosing pumps/heads, and this might be a good if it is possible

Thanks!

Mr. Microscope

I wouldn't mix Mg and Ca. For one, yes it might precipitate, but more importantly Mg is not really used by corals the way Ca and Alk are. Mg is what allows us to have and maintain high levels of Ca and Alk. You'll want to dose Ca and Alk constantly, but you don't need to worry about dosing Mg all the time. It's used up at a much slower rate than the other two. If you want to save money on dosing pumps, dedicate them to Ca and Alk and then dose Mg manually maybe once a week. Just make sure you're testing etc.

True... I was hoping to take the lazy way out :)

Right now I use Randys 2 part recipe and dose equal amounts of calcium and alkalinity based off of alk tests, and levels are relatively stable for calcium.

For reference, Right now I am using half strength 2 part solution:

250 grams of calcium chloride in 1 gallon of water

300 grams (pre baked weight) of baked baking soda in 1 gallon of water

If I wanted to automate mag with a separate doser, how much magnesium chloride would I mix up in a 1 gallon jug so that I can dose an amount equal to my alk and calcium?

Thanks!

just because you're dosing mag and calcium at the same time doesn't mean they need to be at the same concentration. Randy's recipe calls for 28.5 g of magnesium per gallon of two-part. Since you're dosing half that amount, just add 14.25g magnesium to the calcium dosing container. I'm pretty sure with that small an amount, you should be fine.

EDIT: 14.25g would actually correspond to magnesium by itself, so you actually want to add about 55g of mag chloride to reach that amount

I know you're using Randy's Recipe, but dosing is the same. Notice that magnesium doesn't need automation (at 8:36 in the video).

Figure dosing amounts based on consumption for each element and not as a ratio to how much you are dosing another element.

just because you're dosing mag and calcium at the same time doesn't mean they need to be at the same concentration. Randy's recipe calls for 28.5 g of magnesium per gallon of two-part. Since you're dosing half that amount, just add 14.25g magnesium to the calcium dosing container. I'm pretty sure with that small an amount, you should be fine.

EDIT: 14.25g would actually correspond to magnesium by itself, so you actually want to add about 55g of mag chloride to reach that amount

Thanks! this is exactly what I was looking for!

I know you're using Randy's Recipe, but dosing is the same. Notice that magnesium doesn't need automation (at 8:36 in the video).

Figure dosing amounts based on consumption for each element and not as a ratio to how much you are dosing another element.

Thanks for the video link, I know it doesn't need automation. But I am aiming to keep everything as stable as possible

I'm trying to save $$$ on dosing pumps/heads

I am aiming to keep everything as stable as possible

You don't really need to worry about keeping magnesium that stable. Just add your magnesium whenever you refill your calcium and alkalinity bottles.

Archived