Cultivated Reef

Hitchhiker has been living for months...

Jimmyboo

Hi All,

I have this weird hitchhiker that came with my GSP. It looks really weird and blends in pretty well. During the day it is relatively small an unnoticeable. During the night it has these weird disks that seem to levitate above it. Its green in color. The only time I have ever seen it move (the "mouth" closed) was when I performed a bad water change and the water temp went down by about 5 degrees. I would estimate it to be .25in in diameter. It has not really gotten bigger, just stayed as it is.

Sorry I cannot state more about it. It is a very weird creature.

Best,

JB

post-84368-0-32558100-1413985089_thumb.png

That is a ball anemone, lots of people think their pests, and they can sting corals but personally I like them. I have one in my filter stuck to some cheato right now.

Hi All,

I have this weird hitchhiker that came with my GSP. It looks really weird and blends in pretty well. During the day it is relatively small an unnoticeable. During the night it has these weird disks that seem to levitate above it. Its green in color. The only time I have ever seen it move (the "mouth" closed) was when I performed a bad water change and the water temp went down by about 5 degrees. I would estimate it to be .25in in diameter. It has not really gotten bigger, just stayed as it is.

Sorry I cannot state more about it. It is a very weird creature.

Best,

JB

I have plenty in my tank and they tend to stay in the shady crevices between rocks. I've never had issues with them stinging corals or other things.

Archived