Top Shelf Aquatics

Smurfs 92g Bowfront remake!

Smurf

Hello again NR!

After attempting to clean up and sell the tank, I actually fell back in love with the hobby. I've been on a 5 year hiatus and much has changed!

I started one week ago by taking out the rocks, one by one, and washing them down,

IMG_3469_zps63a10948.jpg

Once taken out and scrubbed, I dried the rock outside for a couple days.

http://s1373.photobucket.com/user/jfigueras90/media/IMG_3470_zps66012ef9.jpg.html'>IMG_3470_zps66012ef9.jpg

I took out the substrate, washed out the sand until it was all clear, I then poured boiling hot water into the 5 gallon buckets. Took me about 4 days and 40 hours total to clean out the tank, the sand and rock throughly.

Over the next four days, I was able to get enough water to fill the tank and mix my salt. I slowly added the substrate and it was not as cloudy as I expected.

http://s1373.photobucket.com/user/jfigueras90/media/IMG_3468_zps5e1508a5.jpg.html'>IMG_3468_zps5e1508a5.jpg

After the substrate was arranged where I desired and I was able to get a nice almost crystal clear water, I added the pumps and heater. I really wanna buy an MP40, however that might be a little ways down the road after financing my lights.

http://s1373.photobucket.com/user/jfigueras90/media/IMG_3472_zpsc54a1511.jpg.html'>IMG_3472_zpsc54a1511.jpg

Before adding the scrubbed down rock, I made sure to boil the rocks before adding them to the tank. Im not 100% on the rockscape, but I feel that once I start adding corals (later) it should fill up nicely. This rock work will do for now

http://s1373.photobucket.com/user/jfigueras90/media/IMG_3474_zpsdc21f831.jpg.html'>IMG_3474_zpsdc21f831.jpg

http://s1373.photobucket.com/user/jfigueras90/media/IMG_3476_zpsc78f55cf.jpg.html'>IMG_3476_zpsc78f55cf.jpg

Sorry for the bad pics, but once I start getting nice stuff in there, Ill take some better ones, haha.

I did some research on an LED light (I still have my halides! :happydance: ) and was able to settle on the 90w dimmable kessil wide angle LED. I am also looking for some seeder and sand to get my bioload pumpin.

More to come! Very excited to get back into the husbandry.

Just found a leak in my over flow :( . Its pretty big, and the bigger leak is coming from the corner. :furious:

Anyone have experience patching up overflows?

No luck trying to get the bulkhead of the overflow off. Any suggestions on how I can go about doing this? I am trying to check my seals and can get to the top side of the aquarium at the same time.

Will I be able to get the bulk head off without having the take apart the top over flow?

I love bowfronts! I have a 36g flat back bowfront but I always dreamed of getting a 90g. I personally think they are fun tanks to scape as you have more depth to work with. The hobby has changed a bit in terms of equipment but the science is still the same! I am basically running my tanks with old,(some ancient) equipment but with good husbandry I get good results.

Thanks vlange! Its proving to be quite the headache recently! I keep telling myself to take it slow and steady but I don't even know where to begin taking off this bulk head! :blink::wacko:

Thanks vlange! Its proving to be quite the headache recently! I keep telling myself to take it slow and steady but I don't even know where to begin taking off this bulk head! :blink::wacko:
Hang in there, you will figure out the leaky bulkhead. It is frustrating though and I understand.

Yes - use the tool. If these have been dry for a while, the rubber seal likely needs to be replaced.

Unfortunately the salt creep feels like it froze the bulkhead. Since the bulk head is pushed into the corner, it is really hard to go about taking it off. Im hoping a friend of mine, who is coming back from vacation, has a tool box full of tools that would probably be able to do the job. Its been about 3 days trying to remove this thing! haha

On the bright side (literally) I just got my Kessil A350W! omgomgomg

I purchased it on Amazon for $227 three days ago expected to arrive tomorrow, talk about fast shipping!

IMG_3487_zpsf5949e58.jpg

IMG_3492_zps80bc6f50.jpg

IMG_3494_zps5a82a0c9.jpg[/url]

A good pic of the densely packed LED's

IMG_3497_zps62429510.jpg

Had a drill only one hold to mount the baby, only took 10 minutes to get it mounted!

IMG_3499_zpsc29e10e2.jpg

FTS :10/15/14

IMG_3501_zps6ed28424.jpg

[url=http://s1373.photobucket.com/user/jfigueras90/media/IMG_3503_zps2d6c4fe9.jpg.html]IMG_3503_zps2d6c4fe9.jpg

So whats the news on the leaky bulkhead?

No luck just yet, didn't have a chance to work on it today. I have a friend, who also helps me with my car, who thinks he has a wrench capable of doing the job. I guess I'm not in a hurry, so until then my tank is going to have to get cycling without sump action.

I have yet to purchase my skimmer from my LFS so I only have pumps running the tank with the lights.

• 3 weeks later...

Some updates:

New Additions:

Acropora:

Dr. Sean Benettes Yellow Tort

Wild dark blue acro with brown polyps

Wild Purple Acro with brown polyps

Stylophora:

ORA Purple Stylo

Seriatopora:

ORA Birds of Paradise

Metallic green base with purple polyp Birdsnest

Montipora:

ORA Montipora Confusa

ORA Green Montipora Capricornis

ORA Orange Montipora Capripcornis

Echinophyllia:

Emerald Mummy Eye Chalice

Zoanthid:

Blue Zoa colony ID anyone?

Acanthestrea:

Blue and green Aussie Acan Lords ID?

Crappy iPhone FTS

IMG_3641_zps76e36a4f.jpg

IMG_3649_zps7e506517.jpg

IMG_3650_zps91fb6925.jpg

IMG_3651_zpsdab260be.jpg

IMG_3642_zps0e48b93a.jpg

IMG_3556_zps52059a04.jpg

Strange morph on my emerald mummy eye chalice!

IMG_3568_zpsd16666bd.jpg

IMG_3567_zpsbfa911f9.jpg

Archived