Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Myster's 40b SPS Dominate (Some STN)

mystersyster

I ended up buying another skimmer on sale at my lfs. It had the same issue as my curve 5, so I determined it was a water issue. Not enough bioload. I have 5 fish now, so it is starting to foam.

Curve 5 works just fine and I am selling it now, since I bought a new DC skimmer.

I have noticed that when I've done a deep cleaning on my tank with large water changes my skimmer doesn't get much skim for a few days to a week. But I do have a medium bio load on my tank right now, going to be doing a slightly larger bio load on the 80 gallon since I got the Curve 7 arriving today.

Your new corals look great, my Frogspawn started out smaller than your hammer frag you got and now it's massive and takes up a bit of my tank.

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have noticed that when I've done a deep cleaning on my tank with large water changes my skimmer doesn't get much skim for a few days to a week. But I do have a medium bio load on my tank right now, going to be doing a slightly larger bio load on the 80 gallon since I got the Curve 7 arriving today.

Your new corals look great, my Frogspawn started out smaller than your hammer frag you got and now it's massive and takes up a bit of my tank.

Yeah, I'm probably going to do just bi weekly water changes. I was doing weekly. That curve 7 should give you lots of leeway for a bigger bioload.

Thanks! I'm lucky to have 3 LFS in my area. Some dude just broke down his 500 gallon reef, and he had a massive colony of these hammers. They had huge colonies they broke off for sale. I loved the two different colors, and it honestly looks better under LED's than it did the metal halides at the store. I also noticed the bigger colonies had the purple and green mixed inside a single head which was really cool.

On another bad news note, I bought a higher quality test kit than the API one I had. I had a nyos magnesium kit, so I bought the same brand for calcium. My API has been telling me I was in the 400-420 range with little change. Thought I was set, although the montipora has had me a little concerned. Didn't quite look right, though not bleaching. Sure enough, after testing with my nyos kit, I had a calcium reading of 340. Tested one more time, and got 340 again. Now everything makes sense, and I am glad I noticed before my hammer had to suffer. Raising it up to 370 today, 400 tomorrow, and finally 420 the day after tomorrow. Hopefully everything does well as I slowly raise it back to normal level, and throw away that API junk. Anyone have a concern raising it back over three days? I heard 50 ppm a day was safe, so I'm thinking it should be alright.

I like the scape!

Thanks dude. When I moved my tank over to my DIY stand I didn't want to spend a lot of time working on a new scape, keeping in mind my poor grammas. Luckily it came together pretty well, and it has definitely grown on me.

Coral growth update!!

I took the first picture on November, 12th.

20151104_151611_zpsjqp0g5t1.jpg

I took this picture today. November, 25th.

005_zpso8nestsh.jpg

I can't believe that it is growing so fast for an SPS. The coral lady at the fish store didn't lie. It's a fast grower. =]

I like the scape! Youre going to have a lot of scaping options

Thank you! I'm not even thinking about changing it, but I understand it may be inevitable after a have a lot of colonies grow in :)

Setting up my dosing system. BRS Dosers, and DIY dosing containers! They are half gallon glass containers. Found them at Marshalls for 2.99 each.

20151127_211417_zpsu9z0ayks.jpg

I'm looking for a little bit of help concerning this bloom on my sand. I think that it is cyano, as a tiny bit is growing in my sump. For the past few days it grows extremely fast on my sand bed. Although it doesn't ever get to the stringy stage. Then it is gone by morning time. It is hard to tell from the picture, but it is more red than brown.

20151129_161849_zpsu1mosebq.jpg

Nitrates: Around 2

Phosphates: Unknown, although I do run GFO and change it out every 6 weeks. Changed it out a week ago.

Alk: 8

Calcium: 410

Mag: 1400

Anyone have any thoughts?

To me, it looks like the beginning of a Cyano bloom. Just because you said it grows rapidly and looks red. Should be no big deal if you keep up with regular maintenance.

To me, it looks like the beginning of a Cyano bloom. Just because you said it grows rapidly and looks red. Should be no big deal if you keep up with regular maintenance.

The issue is that I am leaving on vacation in a couple of weeks, for 10 days. It could get out of hand pretty quickly. I will do a couple good water changes until then. If it doesn't want to die, I may have to kill it with some chemicals. :/

I would recommend increasing flow, actively siphoning the sand, less feeding, checking your RODI TDS, trying mb7 (Talk to MetroKat) to outcompete it and THEN chemiclean if all else fails

I would recommend increasing flow, actively siphoning the sand, less feeding, checking your RODI TDS, trying mb7 (Talk to MetroKat) to outcompete it and THEN chemiclean if all else fails

I'm having a hell of a time increasing flow with my little hammer coral/sand. It's become a pain in the ass, and I am ready to add a layer of larger grain sand so that I can increase my flow. RO/DI is 0 TDS :/

The mb7 looks like a feasible option. I'll give an update tomorrow. Thanks dude

So, very bad news. I am in need of some advice and help. My fish seem to have developed marine ich. I can see very small, white spots on my two royal gramma. Only on their tail fins. My starry blenny is itching on the sand, but I can't tell if he has it. My mccoskers flasher wrasse seems to have a few spots on his face. Melanurus seems clear for now.

I do not have a QT. Just not enough room for one. I understand that setting up a small one may be best. I would appreciate some guidance as to what I should do as it is time sensitive. Thanks a ton!

I would get the affected fish into QT ASAP and hope for the best. No medication works for it despite many advertise and so many suggestions on how to "cure" it, when really the only thing that works is time.

If it has indeed spread to the main tank you will need to let it fallow with just corals and inverts for at least 4-6 weeks to let it runs it's cycle and die off. I had a run in with it when I first started up over 3 years ago and despite multiple medications for "treating" ich and QT tank running hypo salinity which didn't work so I tried copper and that didn't work. Just gotta let it runs it's course.

I would get the affected fish into QT ASAP and hope for the best. No medication works for it despite many advertise and so many suggestions on how to "cure" it, when really the only thing that works is time.

If it has indeed spread to the main tank you will need to let it fallow with just corals and inverts for at least 4-6 weeks to let it runs it's cycle and die off. I had a run in with it when I first started up over 3 years ago and despite multiple medications for "treating" ich and QT tank running hypo salinity which didn't work so I tried copper and that didn't work. Just gotta let it runs it's course.

Thanks for the reply. I got a loner 10 gallon from the LFS. Cupramine, and a copper test kit. I'm putting all five fish in the QT and I am struggling to find out whether or not flasher wrasses can tolerate cupramine at .15.

• 2 weeks later...

Fish are doing well in QT. Now my Hammer Coral is infested with flateworms. I was certainly naive thinking that the tentacles were splitting. They are the same color as the purple tentacles, and those bastards are smart enough to stay off the green tentacles. Going to dip now. Check it out.

20151211_102446_zpssjz1cdwl.jpg

20151211_102442_zpslnfe12aj.jpg

• 5 weeks later...

So, I have been struggling with cloudy water for a while. However, it got BAD after my tank went fallow. Finally decided it was a bacterial bloom with some help from you guys. I bought a cheap AA green killing machine uv sterilizer...

20160107_132351_zpsacalbjmw.jpg

Looks cloudier in person... more like this...

20160106_172309_zpsbyp5ik3f.jpg

But even cloudier...

Today, after 3 days of uv sterilization...

20160110_133329_zpsxoqugiwp.jpg

Crystal clear! But not without some casualties. This is where I need hope help! My corals have suffered. My little monti that was growing so fast, is now dying so fast. One of the heads on my hammer died, but is doing well now. Can anyone diagnose my monti?

20160110_133345_zpsezdsykgb.jpg

Started at the tips... working its way down fast.

20160110_133355_zpstiva3pft.jpg

Please and Thanks for your help!

Honestly just give it time man, sucks just sitting there while things may be sick or dying but messing with it will only make things worse. If you have dipped your corals and let your tank fallow just give it a bit more time and your corals should come around. I've had my GSP and Frogspawn close up for 2 weeks and thought they were a goner and then BOOM they opened up hardcore.

• 4 weeks later...

Honestly just give it time man, sucks just sitting there while things may be sick or dying but messing with it will only make things worse. If you have dipped your corals and let your tank fallow just give it a bit more time and your corals should come around. I've had my GSP and Frogspawn close up for 2 weeks and thought they were a goner and then BOOM they opened up hardcore.

You were right. Kept all parameters in check and my monti made a good comeback.

PhotoGrid_1454441991111_zpsblp1eagt.jpg

• 3 months later...

Archived