inTank Media Baskets

Looking for some thoughts on 20 Long design

Halo_003

My tank is a Deep Blue 20 long, I have about 30lbs of rock+10lbs of sand, 1 Gladiator clown and 1 red scooter dragonet. A few frags etc, nothing super major though. Right now it's just a 20 long with an AC70 on the back, which has a Reef Octopus NS-80 skimmer in it. Heater is in the tank.

I would like to remove the AC70, and get the heater out of the display. I'm unsure if I should try to make it an AIO design, or if I should try drilling it for a sump. I do have an Eschoppes PF Nano overflow box for it but I'm unsure if I want to use it or not. I also have a RIO 1100+ for my return pump.

Here's where I'm unsure. The tank is already set up, and running of course. I'm also having a stand built for it similar to the design of the ELOS stands. The stand will match the footprint of the 20 long almost seamlessly, so if it was sumped the sump would be a 10G. My thought is to buy another 20 long, modify that to my design(whether AIO or sumped), move livestock from my current one into the new one once it's been set up and then sell my used one to a local reefer. I will have to move it in a year into an apartment. I know the AIO idea would be easier to do this with.

Now, if I was to do an AIO design, I'd basically copy the Fusion 30L design.

If I was to sump it... I would drill 3 holes, 2 larger and 1 smaller. The large would be bulkheads to an external overflow box(ghost overflow w/ bean animal design), and the smaller would be a return.

Which would you do and why? Or would you stick with what I have now?

You may want to look at the new Aquamaxx HOB-1 skimmers. They have a dedicated heater compartment and will give you that AIO look without having to deal with retrofitting your tank. That would create a really simple system.

otherwise, a sump is always a nice thing to have so that you can add equipment. You can easily make and acrylic sump to max out the space in your stand, or have it made.

I like that skimmer idea. I'd like to keep things off the back ideally since my tank isn't painted. I was also considering maybe an upgrade to a custom acrylic if I can find a builder sized at 36"x15"x13"(H) AIO design. (Similar to an IM Nuvo 30L, assuming I don't just buy that tank.)

Thoughts on that vs. the 20 long ideas as well?

Figured it couldn't hurt so I'm getting a quote from PicO on what it would cost to get a low iron glass IM Fusion 30L clone, minus the issues of the IM and plus the quality of PicO. I like the idea of having an AIO because it would simply things quite a bit I think.

Sump it... you seem like a fish person and the extra volume/filtration will help with that.

That's why I was tempted to put a sump on it. I'm waiting to hear what PicO says on an IM Fusion 30L clone, I've seen that in person and I loved the size but I don't want QC issues.

When they get back to me I'll see what I want to do. :)

I am a fish person for sure but I do appreciate pretty corals.

masterbuilder

The only comment I have is the dimensions of a standard 20L makes it too narrow (front to back) for an AIO design. You will grow to hate anything with less than a 10-12 inch display area. The custom Pico or a HOB for a 20L sounds much better to me.

The only comment I have is the dimensions of a standard 20L makes it too narrow (front to back) for an AIO design. You will grow to hate anything with less than a 10-12 inch display area. The custom Pico or a HOB for a 20L sounds much better to me.

Excellent point.

Think I will add a sump at least temporarily since I have everything I'd need plus an HOB overflow and return so it'd be simple enough to disconnect if needed. I think my best option tank wise is an IM 30L or the PicO clone if they don't quote me like $1000 for it.

My thoughts is if you did AIO... you would do it peninsula style. I have a 20g AIO that could make a great peninsula... it is always taunting me to set it up....

Ofc you lose on length but peninsula's are always sexy.

Something like this:

ataqa3y5.jpg

That is cool lol. I've thought about doing my QT like that.

Interestingly, just got my quote back from PicO and it was actually not bad at all. The tank itself is cheaper than the Fusion 30L but the cover brings it to be in the neighborhood of $40ish more. Then shipping is pricey obviously which is to be expected.

I think I'll start setting $$$ aside to try and pick it up, it would be awfully cool.

Archived