Cultivated Reef

Encrusting SPS + Plastic Shipwreck = ?

Alexraptor

Most of us are proud of our natural looking reefs, filled with live rock and real coral. And quite a few of us look down on plastic decorations and wouldn't even give it a second thought.

But as a matter of curiosity has anyone ever considered buying one of those plastic shipwrecks and mounting an ecnrusting montipora or other sps and let it freely encrust over the thing?

And maybe more importantly, are the materials they are made of safe in a reef environment?

I've seen Moa heads covered in GSP,I don't suppose this would be much different. They're generally made from ceramic though, I can't comment on the pirate ships ability to withstand the elements in the same way

This is a really cool idea. You always see man made objects like boats and such become natural reefs. Why stop at encrusting corals, do all kinds of sps. Curacao_Wreck_Diving_Wallpaper_1920x1200

It would look super cool if he could talk two bright red bubble tip nems to stay in the eye sockets! lol

You could for about 20mins until they walk off

If you are going to try it, use zoas or polyps or something similar - encrusting montis don't really "hug" whatever they are growing over and will fill any gaps - when it is done covering it, it'll just look like a blob roughly in the shape of the ship. My encrusting montis reall "smooth" out my rockwork

Cyphastrea might do a good job and look better than most montis.

Archived