SaltCritters.com

Martin's 60 gallon Shallow!

fishstick41

Well, I guess its about time to start back up the hobby. I'm sorry if this post isn't as fun as other guys. but I will try to spice things up to keep you all entertained and excited about this tank as much as I am ;). This tank is not my first saltwater aquarium, I had a Aquapod a couple years ago but had to turn it into an African cichlid tank because of the cost. I miss my cichlids.. so much :P. the tank is going to be a custom made tank by me. and yes this is my first tank I have ever made... I know some people think I am crazy for building it but the only way for me to learn is not by reading, but by doing. :) The tank is going to be 58.4 gallons but I'm going to say it's 60 gallons... roughly. The dimensions is going to be 30W" x 30L" x 15H" THIS WILL BE THE FINAL SIZE unless something happens, again. I will be taking this tank build pretty slow and not buying everything all at once. Only bad things happen If i blow my time and money at once, as much fun as it is. :D

My_Tank_nanoreef.jpg

~if Marked with a line, means I already have it~

Equipment list:

1. Tank: 1/2" glass (30" x 30" x 15")

2. Lights: 2x ReefBreeders Photon 24"

3. Sump: 20 gallon long

4. overflow: Glass-holes 1500

5. Return pump: Jebao DC-6000 (I'm hearing very good reviews with pump.)

6. Protein skimmer: Reef Octopus Classic 110INT 4"

7. Pump: I haven't gotten this far yet.

(am I forgetting anything??)

~if Marked with a line, means I already have it~

Livestock:

Ummm... I'm still thinking about building the tank.. :P

Thank you for viewing my post and please ask questions. It will help me plan things the right way and learn.

Monday I'm going to buy 2 3/4" bulkheads and maybe 4 quick disconnects, Yey for updates. I plan on getting heavy duty bulkheads because I am reading that the non-heavy duty bulkheads fail over time, Is this true?

lol, I wanted to go shallow because I am tired of seeing and only being around normal sized tanks... where the height is bigger then the width.

I have a 60 cube and I am tired of wet armpits. Are you ordering your glass or getting it local?

I am getting the glass cut local. Place call smith auto glass in asheboro

Following this

Join the party! :)

I know I know :P.. I'm changing the bullhead to the low profile bulkheads I learned the reason why they fail is because people over screw them, And over time the o ring breaking. I'm guessing I can change when they are getting old. Is this true?

I know I know :P.. I'm changing the bullhead to the low profile bulkheads I learned the reason why they fail is because people over screw them, And over time the o ring breaking. I'm guessing I can change when they are getting old. Is this true?

I'm in the process of designing a 16g cube and I want a very low profile overflow.

What I'm thinking is having the back panel as white acrylic with a notch cut out the top and the water will flow into an external overflow box then down to the sump, super low profile. Need to find a place that will make it.

Have you considered something like this?

I did consider that approach. But after thinking about it for a couple of days I came to the conclusion that I would have to trust the silicone on the outside.

I just ordered the Bulkheads and a union for the pump off of Bulk reef supply. I also ask them in the comment to do something special with the order... lets see if they read the comments ;).

I did consider that approach. But after thinking about it for a couple of days I came to the conclusion that I would have to trust the silicone on the outside.

The whole tank is held together by silicone lol

What do you guys think about the Apex controller... is it worth the $500+? I'm thinking about getting one which may prolong finishing the tank. but will keep me updated while I'm away.

What do you guys think about the Apex controller... is it worth the $500+? I'm thinking about getting one which may prolong finishing the tank. but will keep me updated while I'm away.

personally i dont think it is worth it bceause i am a poor scrub, however if i have the money i would have one

So I received my order from bulk reef supply and I asked them to do something special with the order ... so they drew a fish and made me a paper hat out of my order! :lol:

10665722_10152809177970127_2658637884345

• 7 months later...
fishstick41

sorry for a very late update. But because I had to buy a new car and Audi's do not come cheap.. I am selling most of my parts. I will be using whats left of what I don't decide to sell for a smaller tank build. Mods please close this. Thanks

Archived