Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Monkdaily's 5.5 ground zero

monkdaily

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nice- fillin it up- let see a FTS of placement!

Will do. It still looks pretty sparse but I am really enjoying it. The acros will probably stay on plugs (The size of a nickel). But when the Jedi heals completely it will get put on the rock and so will the zoas

Little photo dump and a new piece. I also added a aqueon 500 pump to the aquaclear 70 and now 800gph in my 5.5 rockin. Now the new piece first.

Uchin Select Coral Pinky the Bear

20141014_204424.jpg

20141014_203713.jpg

More pearlberry

20141014_204037.jpg

Some FTS

20141014_203106.jpg

20141014_203121.jpg

Some of my purple bonsai still coloring up it has purple tips now and a this badass purple ring around the base.

20141014_203810.jpg

20141014_204127.jpg

And finally the Jedi Mind Trick. Looking better and better in every pic. Almost fully healed from the fragging (I actually picked it up today). The cut side is almost completely covered in skin so high hopes for this one.

20141014_204046.jpg

If I may offer some advice, I think you should slow down on adding stuff to your tank. It is very new (2 weeks?) and it is still trying to get it's balance. You may soon start having issues. I'm not trying to be a downer, but if you are new to SPS I am trying to give you some pointers.

If I may offer some advice, I think you should slow down on adding stuff to your tank. It is very new (2 weeks?) and it is still trying to get it's balance. You may soon start having issues. I'm not trying to be a downer, but if you are new to SPS I am trying to give you some pointers.

Thanks Arkayology no worries no offence taken. This is my second go around after a few years away from the hobby. If it wasn't for that I wouldn't have the confidence or knowledge to take a 5.5g on at all. My LFS was nice enough to allow me to run my filter on their tanks for a while and I got my live rock from their display tanks. I am also lucky enough to have a job that starts at 6am and am off by 2pm which give me plenty of time everyday to any maintenance needed. As well as giving this form my lfs is seconds away should any problems arise. Thanks for looking. Also my tank in now a month old today. SCORE!

• 2 weeks later...

Damn it been a while and I got a couple of minutes at work to write some things down. First off about a week ago I won a contest at a LFS on the cowboy game "pick a winner and by how much." I won 40$ in store credit so I got 1 polyp of RPE and a chalice that I can't remember the name of (iridescent blue with pink eyes). Than last Friday I picked up an AI Sol Blue from a local guy and hooked that bad boy up. And after 3 days I have to say best decision ever makes all my colors pop and look amazing. Other than that I did some rearrange not much else going on in The past 2 weeks. Pics this after noon!!

More new pics. I just picked up an AI Sol Blue on Friday so I thought I would take a couple of pics too help keep track of color and growth.

PEARLBERRY

20141027_205542.jpg

PURPLE BONSAI

20141027_205610.jpg

UNIDENTIFIED CHALICE

20141027_205703.jpg

RED PEOPLE EATER PALY

20141027_205808.jpg

GREEN ZOAS

20141027_205821.jpg

JEDI MIND TRICK

20141027_205839.jpg

UCHIN SELECT CORAL PINKY THE BEAR

20141027_210152.jpg

UNIDENTIFIED ACRO

20141027_210305.jpg

NEW FTS

20141027_200241.jpg

That bonsai's base is growing perfect! Planning on any fish?

I know the bonsai has really been taking off. Everything really but with the bonsai it has this insane purple ring around the base on the new growth. Hopefully these new lights will help speed up the coloring process I couldn't get with the par bulb. As far as fish go I would love a Flaming Prawn Goby (don't know how he would do in a bare bottom tank though) or a Yellow Assesors their swimming style and colors are striking.

Got my AI Sol hung today it's extremly DIY but in an apt drilling holes is frowned upon so until I can get some steel bent this will have to do.

20141028_202828.jpg

Got my AI Sol hung today it's extremly DIY but in an apt drilling holes is frowned upon so until I can get some steel bent this will have to do. 20141028_202828.jpg

Nice- that's a lot of light for that tank ?wish I had it on my Nuvo 16. Your Bonsai is loving its placement. Are you feeding?

There was a deal on the light I couldn't pass up. Not that it's going to happen anytime soon but I got it off a guy who had a AIO 30G and got great growth on everything even sps so it give me plenty of room to upgrade later on. I just feed oyster feast 2 times a week. 1 spot feeding to all corals and 1 time feeding with filter off and pump on.

The bonsai and pearlberry both love their placement the bonsai has heavy indirect flow and heave lighting and the pearlberry is getting blasted by flow and light!!

There was a deal on the light I couldn't pass up. Not that it's going to happen anytime soon but I got it off a guy who had a AIO 30G and got great growth on everything even sps so it give me plenty of room to upgrade later on. I just feed oyster feast 2 times a week. 1 spot feeding to all corals and 1 time feeding with filter off and pump on.The bonsai and pearlberry both love their placement the bonsai has heavy indirect flow and heave lighting and the pearlberry is getting blasted by flow and light!!

Ya - your stoked on getting that light- if my AI nano can produce good growth - that sol is gonna make things take off Have you notice your bonsai polyps extending better just before dark- that's when mine starts to open up- probably expecting my nightly feedings. Any more SPS in the plans?

Man that bonsai still won't open up for me. The one highest polyp is always out other than that they are all about half out. But other That the base and top of the two tallest branches it is still pretty brown. Im pretty sure once it gets 100% color back the polyps Will be better. But the contrast of neon green polyps against the purple skin is killer. I wanted to slow on the sticks and start on chalices but with these new lights the list has grown!!!

Man that bonsai still won't open up for me. The one highest polyp is always out other than that they are all about half out. But other That the base and top of the two tallest branches it is still pretty brown. Im pretty sure once it gets 100% color back the polyps Will be better. But the contrast of neon green polyps against the purple skin is killer. I wanted to slow on the sticks and start on chalices but with these new lights the list has grown!!!

Ya my bonsai has "ok" PE never been great- it had nice purple tips under metal halide at the lfs but has lost some of that under my AINano. It is encrusting and growing well still though so I am not to concerned. What % is your light set at- mine is at 100 blues 98 whites- I ramped it up slowly 1% a day starting at 35%.

Same here on the bonsai. Color is coming back and growth is good so not too worried. Once it's all purple I'll be a lot happier though. Mine is 40/30 wht/blue at its mid day intensity then flips 30/40 wht/blue. Been running like that since Tuesday. On Monday I'll start ramping up. I really need to start a journal. Or keep better track of day to day activities on here ,I have scrap paper everywhere!!

So last night I turned the pumps off to get a good look at the backside of the JMT because I thought I saw some polyps on the cut side and sure enough I did and a purple rim forming on that cut so I got super stoked and took couple of top down pics.

20141029_190547-1.jpg

20141029_190558-1.jpg

20141029_190626-1.jpg

20141029_190638-1.jpg

20141029_191023-1.jpg

20141029_191104-1.jpg

What's the two Acros in the picture after the bonsai- one looks like a Milli- good polyp ext. on that one for sure

The first one is a pearlberry that has a slight green shimmer the camera can't pick up. The second is UCHIN SELECT CORAL PINKY THE BEAR ACRO. He livs local here in the DFW so I got it at a good price. Do you have a link to your tank?

Hmmm,this is pretty interesting but looks good. What settings are you using on the light,it looks to be superrrr close to the water line.

Have you checked for PE on the bonsai after lights out. On my colony they peak out during the day and come out full after lights out.

Archived