Cultivated Reef

bb or what?

monkdaily

Iam getting ready to set my tank up this weekend or next week however i still a question about my substrate. I have a 5.5g that i will be putting a AQ70 on. To my eye a bb does not look appealing. I also dont want to turn my tank into a snow glob. Plus i want it to be a mix reef with sps and lps so i want to water flow and turn over high. Is there any preferred substrate that wont blow all over the place. Because i would like all the benefits of critters and filtration that come a live sand type also. In the future i plan on adding a flaming prawn goby if that helps with making a decision

If you are getting a pistol shrimp don't get sugar fine sand,. It took my tank about 3 weeks after adding my shrimp to the tank before the storm was gone. I got CaribSea Dry Aragonite Special Grade Reef Sand if you get a shrimp be prepared for corals being covered up if they sit on the bottom, I have several corals on the sand but made sure they weren't in the shrimps way, nearly 2/3s of the sand is in 1/3 of the tank because of the shrimp.

Ok i was trying to decide between special grade and argonite. I just wondered if there was anyone else out there running s mixed reef+ substrate + aq70 + 5.5g w/o having to mod or switch the impeller. I just wat the substrate to come up to the black rim at the bottom of the tank

Archived