Top Shelf Aquatics

The day has come to try agian -Shaggy's BC29- 9-9-2014

Shaggy2061

OK Starting this one up agian in a dire need situation!! My 75 Gallon tank blew the Wall socket and Is getting to hard for a disabled one such as myself to take care

It has been Over run With Aptasia fiannlly they beat me. We have been at war for over 5 years they won!!!

So now i am starting over in the BC29 And glad for it the maintenece should be easier ..

I gave up on this Tank many moons ago due to Lighting issues the spectrum id never right and sooner or later Cyano takes over SO my hopes are now to sell 75Gallon tank, chiller, and all and get some LED retrofit that will elminate that issue.. Here are some day two shots from today..

ONE QUESTION

If i take some water form established tank and refill it with that will it help speed cycle enough for me to transfer Livestock Within a few days!! I would Like to think so as when i move the tank it is like doing just that sorta??? I am going to also get Established Live rock from Aptasia free tanks to put in there

Equipment

Tabk is of course My Oceanic BC29

Jabeo Wave maker

2 -Two Little Fishes Phosban 150 Gonna run activated charchol in one and other i have not decided

Return Pump is MJ1200

For the reactore i have Danner 02510 Pond Minipump 707 65 GPH splite and controlled with ball valves

Stock Lighting for now

No moonlights

UV reactor ( Not In Use )

Mods

Removed all false bottoms

Cut first wall in back to allow more flow

Altered back of hood to allow HOB reractors

Replaced Stock Return with loclines

Planned Mods

Remove stock PC lights and replace them with LED

5.5 Tank in Stand to use as ATO

In-Tank Media Basket and Fishaver

Tunze 9001 Skimmer

A Reef Keeper Elite when 75 Gallon Sells

Last but Not least a Nano Chiller as living in Phoenix, AZ It can get hot here

Front View

IMG_6442.jpg

Left Side View

IMG_6445.jpg

Right Side View

IMG_6446.jpg

Thank you

P.S. I am looking forward to some answers to my question i posed.

More questions! Other than one posed above

Which Led Retrofit produces a better all around light for a LPS tank?

Anyone Local to my area (Tempe, AZ) Willing to give me acup o live sand to kick start this bad boy? I can Pay for it!

Will my Bubble Tips tranfer well to tank established less than 6 months? Always heard need a 6 month old or more tank to keep them. As a general Rule that is.

I have always upgraded this is first downgrade., I want to still keep reef just with my recent disablity i need to make it easier on me and a 75 with Aptasia is to much.
This i why i ask questins downgrading scares me!

Measuring the sandbed

Taken today About 11:00 AM my time (AZ)

Distance Shot to show water clarity
IMG_6456.jpg

Close up to read ruler stuck in the sand
http://s306.photobucket.com/user/LeStat2061/media/Biocube%20Started%2009-08-2014/09-10-2014/IMG_6455.jpg.html'>IMG_6455.jpg

I know that I am posting a lot but want to journal just about every step in pictures
Also to share for anyone whom might be interested as well? But mostly just to journal and hopefully get some advice as this is first tank I have setup in years

Just got back from Aquaris where Carlos hooked me up with A nice piece of live rock and some Microbacter 7. Wll i had to pay for Microbacter. Any ways also got water teseted redings are as follows

Ammonia

Nitrite

Nitrate

160 HOLY $#!^

So Looks like Huge water change toniight for me

Picture of the live rock Carlos Gave me

http://s306.photobucket.com/user/LeStat2061/media/Biocube%20Started%2009-08-2014/09-10-2014/IMG_6458.jpg.html'>IMG_6458.jpg

Notice the Hitchehiker on there i really hope It survives as it is hella bright. Right now the only light on the tank on is the white. Can not wait to see that guy under the atintics or even better, The LED Setup i am going to get

No water changes during the cycle. Let the tank do its thing.

First thank you for looking And second i am not arguing, But with the Nitrates at 160 PPM on 2 different Test kits does mean a water change is badly needed??? I am confused i alwyas thoight when you started to see Nitrates it was time to change the water??

Test Results
I tested 3 times since i got two reading at 2 different fish store of 160ppm Nitrates All the results are as follows

Ammonia = 0

Nitrite = 0

Nitrate = 0

This was a t same 2 fish stores with there test kits and mine at home as well

I am confused how does it go from 160 ppm in 29 gallon to 0 after only a 15 gallon water change and second how in the heel did it get that high in the first place?????

I mean where two seperate fish stores suffering form bad test kits that day .. I used same containers to carry the water there as i did the first day rinsed in ro first like i did the first day ... WTF

i gotta transfer Livestock soon as the massive failure in my 75 is going to kill the fish if i do not move them over.. Unfortunalty i have nothing elses i can do with the fish right now no pet store wants themn and no one local can house them till i get 29 up and running.

I am glad i kept such a small bioload

Woohoo Brown DiatomsToday Just a little but that is happy sign to see!

http://s306.photobucket.com/user/LeStat2061/media/Biocube%20Started%2009-08-2014/09-12-2014/IMG_6471.jpg.html'>IMG_6471.jpg

One Dude today told me Brown Diatoms where caused by the plastic in the Tank and only the plastic from the tank not nitrogen cycle at all??? LOL

Readings

Ammonia = 0

Nitrite = 0

Nitrate = 20

Took water to 4 different stores and used my test kit same results all around... Lot of driving though but worth it for the piece of mind

Got 5.5 Acclimation Tank With Aquaclear 20 up and running put 3 ponds live rock in and 1/4 inch live sand form 75 then aclimated 4 pepermint shrimp to it .. I am hoping in such a small volukme the will eat some Aptasia and i can save some Corals form 75 to put in this 29.

http://s306.photobucket.com/user/LeStat2061/media/Biocube%20Started%2009-08-2014/09-12-2014/IMG_6470.jpg.html'>IMG_6470.jpg

Also Orderd Fish Saver and flow diverter today from InTank as someone gave me there old media basket from

InTank. Saves me 50 bucks i can barlety afford right now.

Ok Last Night Had to gewt stuff over 75 was done it was dying and i had to try to salvage as much as i could ..

So i moved things over And here are some Pictures tonight when i am not so tired i wann fall over and sleep for a week

Front Tank Shot

IMG_6473.jpg

Left Side Shot

IMG_6474.jpg

Right Side Shot

IMG_6476.jpg

Adding Microbacter 7 as directed . Doing water changes every 3 days from this point on till i am 100% that things are stable as they can get!

Got some corals in 5.5 tank below in stand that i am using as quarintine tank. Scrubing any and all Aptasia of them before hitting display tank.

Maybe starting out with less fish to help your system mature a little more.

It was either that or flush them i could get no one local to respomnd to craigslist add nor would a local shop take them. So no other option was availble to me. At least that was all i had or wanted in the 75 that was falling apart!

Woohoo My Order Form InTank Has SHipped

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Qty | Item # | Description | Date Shipped | Tracking #

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1 | BC29FS | BioCube 29 Fish Saver Guard | 09/15/2014 |

1 | BC29WD | Water Director & Stay Hold for BioCube 29 | 09/15/2014 |

Water Director: Oceanic Biocube 29

Looking forward to This ! more step to making this system complete!

After this one I am Planning A 5.5 Gallon Mini ZOA reef for my desk. Will have the extra parts after i get this one stable have parts to make 2 at least but one is good.

Current Readings

Ammonia = 0

Nitrite = 0

Nitrate = 10 to 20

Question # 3

Have two of the Two Little Fishies Reactors hooked up TO System

http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/phosban-reactor-150-1.html

Running Carbon In One and Phosban in other But do i need the Phosban i do not have hair algae and will be forced to do Water changes 2 times a week do to Bioload..

So Question is as Follows what would be best to run in # 2 and Keep in minfd that the REactors are inline with one another so One has lower flow than other and with large carbon i have that in reactor 1 as it takes a bit to tumble that to dust!

Archived