ReefCleaners.org

Fluval Spec V DIY retrofit the Stock LED light

Graysb01

Can anyone suggest a way to retrofit the Stock light on the Fluval Spec V with solderless Cree LEDs or whatever?

I'm setting up a FW tank growing medium light plants. Want to not deal with Co2 augmentation etc.

What are the measurements of where you plan to put the light?

The heatsink fitting is going to predicate what youre able to do.

HeatsinkUSA.com has just about any size or thickness you need.

Ps, I would assume that the stock lights are well suited to growing plants and macro algae. Does it not do that?

Pss, in tight spaces I would pass on the Cree LEDs and look at the Philips Luxeon K multichips. 4-24 LEDs mounted tightly for small fixtures. They arevpretty inexpensive for what youre getting.

A 13up from NanoBox for $60 is a cant go wrong deal. He has a planted tank light, check that out if that puck is available DIY.

Farkas,

Thanks very much for your post. The dimensions of the Fluval Spec V tank is: 17.2"L x 6.3"W x 10.6"H

My main objective is to adapt the existing light fixture to contain an upgraded led light aray. The beauty of this aquarium is the elegant and simple light that is suspended over the tank. So my main question is how to strip out the existing (weak) lights and replace them with higher output light aray, using the same hissing, with perhaps an additional heat sink.

(see link below)

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51B50ys9z6L._SY400_.jpg

Archived