Cultivated Reef

B-Ionic two part calcium buffer problems

Angeles

I have been dosing with the two part b-ionic calcium buffer system. On the bottle it says not to mix the two liquids and wait 5 min after adding the first to add the second.

Two nights ago, I added the first one, but I don't think I waited long enough to add the second. As soon as I started to add the second component, white clouds formed in the aquarium. they seemed to be a chemical reaction.

None of my fish or corals have behaved differently since.

I will wait till next week to dose calcium again.

Is there anything I should do?

The reason you can't mix them is because they will react and cause calcium carbonate (the same stuff coral skeletons are made of). This is exactly what happened in your tank and it precipitated out (the white cloud). Basically, the dose you added is no longer in the water column and settled somewhere on your sandbed, pumps, or other equipment.

The only thing you should do is test your Calcium and Alkalinity to make sure they are where they should be since they will likely be low. I would also check your Magnesium to ensure it is where it should be.

The reason you can't mix them is because they will react and cause calcium carbonate (the same stuff coral skeletons are made of). This is exactly what happened in your tank and it precipitated out (the white cloud). Basically, the dose you added is no longer in the water column and settled somewhere on your sandbed, pumps, or other equipment.

The only thing you should do is test your Calcium and Alkalinity to make sure they are where they should be since they will likely be low. I would also check your Magnesium to ensure it is where it should be.

Thanks, As long as I know that it will not cause any harm. I will begin testing, then get levels back to normal...

It sounds like you don't need to be adding these to your system.

You should measure alk and Ca, as already stated.

Most maring systems don't require the addition or either, unless the biological organisms are using them In particular, SPS and coraline algae can consume both alk and Ca at significant rates.

The problem is, that if you dose without measuring their levels you are likely to end up with saturated solutions and calcium carbonite "snow", which is what you saw.

Alk levels should be between 7 and 11 dKH for reef systems.

Calcium should be 400 to 480 ppm for reef systems.

A little above or below for either range is fine but do not stray to far from that.

Good Luck!

Archived