SaltCritters.com

3D background in a reef aquarium?

staisman

Hi, I have fresh water aquarium with 3D background that is not flat to the back wall. The space in between the wall and a background is from 2 to 3''. So now I want to switch to the Salt water reef aquarium. My question is: will I have problems with my salt water aquarium if I have that space behind a background because there is will be no or very little water movement ?

post-85477-0-05914500-1408572878_thumb.jpg

No big issue if you have a 3D background/gap. I've seen it done before. The only problem the owner had was snails and stuff will go back there and never return.

Could be a place to collect debris would be my concern.

It's actually not as bad a you might imagine. Detritus doesn't make it back there very easily. After awhile it becomes a haven for feather dusters, sponges and other filter feeders. The guy I know with has had it for like 5+ yrs without ever cleaning it out. There is a ton of snail shells down there though.

Ok, thank you everyone for the input, I was afraid it would be a problem.

Do you think I can plant some corals to it, or algae will grow on it since it not porous?

This will be my first saltwater tank, all my life I had only cichlids, but now I would like to try saltwater tank. I am going to use my 75 G tank as a display tank and make a sump with refugium from my old 55g tank. Since I gonna use a background I can't put an overflow box so I am going to use this method.

There are couple different people using this overflow method and it's very effective.

I am not sure on what skimmer to use yet, but I am going to use Eheim compact+ 3000 pump for the return line.

Also I am not sure about lighting, my display tank is 48.5" x 18.5" x 21.2"

Any input will be appreciated. Thank you

Archived