Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Nitrite Level

Brayreef

As of last Friday I added Dr.Tims nitrifying bacteria and three drops of ammonia to my picotope. Ammonia levels have finally dropped to 0.25 but nitrite levels are through the roof around 5 ppm. A few days ago brown diatoms started to develop on my dry rock which i assume is a good sign. Should i do a water change to reduce nitrite levels since ammonia is decreasing? Or should i wait it out in hopes that they will both read 0 ppm? Thanks

Wiat for the ammonia and nitrities to fall to zero. If you change water out you will slow the cycling. You are now waiting for the bacteria that convert nitrite to nitrate to build in your system. This is a time to be patient. You might also consider thinking about your CUC to help control the diatoms.

Good Luck!

I thought a CUC would be stressed out with high amounts of nitrite?

About two and a half weeks but just added dr tims a little over a week ago.

thegambler26

Just wait. Once your ammonia and nitrites read zero your nitrates will be up. then it's time for a water change and CUC. Don't add anything until your cycle is complete. Dr Tim's might speed things up some but these things still take time. If your at 2 1/2 wks you could have another wk and a half or more to go.

Regarding the CUC, I said it is time to think about it. Nitrites are far less toxic than ammonia, but more toxic than nitrates. Are you lighting your tank? If so, I would recommend turning the lights off to limit that diaton and soon to be algae bloom.

Don't worry about nitrite, just watch ammonia. I don't even bother testing nitrite anymore (as it isn't very toxic at marine pH levels). If ammonia is dropping, then you can do a large water change without delaying the completion of the cycle.

Regarding the CUC, I said it is time to think about it. Nitrites are far less toxic than ammonia, but more toxic than nitrates. Are you lighting your tank? If so, I would recommend turning the lights off to limit that diaton and soon to be algae bloom.

If you've got diatoms, leave the lights on and let your tank get through them. When you set up a tank, there are going to be silicates released from your rock, sand, etc. and the diatoms take them up along with other nutrients. Diatoms are a good thing!

Throughout at least the first 6 months to a year of your tank (unless you are using rock from a very well established, mature tank) the tank is going to slowly mature - which is going to mean cycles of microalgae and macroalgae as your tank naturally establishes itself.

Take things slow, do your water changes, and keep your sand and rock clean and free of detritus, always use RODI and your tank will be successful. Nothing good EVER happens fast with a reef - only bad things happen fast.

Archived