SaltCritters.com

Hair Algae? [ID Please]

skyzpop

I noticed this white/clear fiberous stuff on my live rock this morning and I am trying to figure out what it could be. My first thought was hair algae but from what I can tell online, hair algae is usually green.

The tank is a Nuvo 16 that has been up and running for a month now. One clown fish inhabitant and all my water test are good.

Water test results from this morning (7/27/14) after a 5 gallon water change.

Sal: 1.025

Temp: 79F

pH: 8.2

Amm: 0

NO2: 0

NO3: 0

a2a63985-41b0-438c-a852-f641dbbd8e5e.jpg

If it's essentially in one spot there are some tube worms that use filaments like that to collect food. If it's all over idk.

It seems to be all over the rock, more in some places than others...wondering if this could be the beginning stages of hair algae or something similar that is not green. Thanks for your response Lynaea.

MirandaCaine

Definitely looks like vermetid snails to me. Not saying it couldn't be some kind of algea but I had a similar issue in my 10g, it started as one and a few days later were several just like in your pic... I couldn't see their calcified tube at first but upon closer inspection with a magnifying glass sure enough there they were. Tiny ugly little buggers!

I put a drop of superglue on the tubes I could get to, did a water change and stopped feeding phyto and zoo plankton for a few days (they catch any particulates in the water colum with their web and reel it in to feed) and haven't seen any more knock on wood.

Definitely looks like vermetid snails to me. Not saying it couldn't be some kind of algea but I had a similar issue in my 10g, it started as one and a few days later were several just like in your pic... I couldn't see their calcified tube at first but upon closer inspection with a magnifying glass sure enough there they were. Tiny ugly little buggers! I put a drop of superglue on the tubes I could get to, did a water change and stopped feeding phyto and zoo plankton for a few days (they catch any particulates in the water colum with their web and reel it in to feed) and haven't seen any more knock on wood.

Are their tubes microscopic? I can't see anything that resembles a tube where these fiberous strings are connected to my rock. From what I have read online regarding vermetid snails, I hope it is only some sort of algae. Thanks for your response MirandaCaine.

MirandaCaine

Not microscopic, but close lol, mine kinda looked like stubble or a thick hair, very short about 3-5mm (and some were red)Try looking "up current" from where the strands are... It could just be they are wedged down in a nook in your rock and your just not able to see the tube yet... Time will tell on that one. Are you feeding phyto or anything to your corals? If you are, stop for a few weeks and see if that won't starve them out... I feel like they taught me the valuable lesson about dipping corals (and quarantining) befor putting them in the display!

And you're very welcome! I'm a noob too but try to help where I can, so all those hours of reading and research don't go to waste lol

Not microscopic, but close lol, mine kinda looked like stubble or a thick hair, very short about 3-5mm (and some were red)Try looking "up current" from where the strands are... It could just be they are wedged down in a nook in your rock and your just not able to see the tube yet... Time will tell on that one. Are you feeding phyto or anything to your corals? If you are, stop for a few weeks and see if that won't starve them out... I feel like they taught me the valuable lesson about dipping corals (and quarantining) befor putting them in the display!

And you're very welcome! I'm a noob too but try to help where I can, so all those hours of reading and research don't go to waste lol

I'm only about a month in, no coral yet. Can these things stay alive on cured live rock outside water for long? I got my rock from Bulk Reef Supply and they claim their rock is "clean". The only food the tank is getting is about 4-5 Hikari small pellets a day for my clown. I will just wait it out, thanks again!

MirandaCaine

I wouldn't think they can survive for long out of water but you don't want to kill what bacteria you have grown during your cycle by letting it dry out . Since you don't have any coral to worry about you're definitely right to just wait it out. Maybe there are so many strands because the ones that are there are starving so they are sending out more "nets" as a last resort to survive... Try just scrubbing the rock off if you can get it out, or try to suck them out with a turkey baster... They'll probably die off soon, fingers crossed for you! Good luck!

Archived