Innovative Marine Aquariums

First Saltwater Tank! :D

CurtBoswell

I'm not getting one yet. Probably in about month or two. My tank is definitely still cycling I was just planning where I could put stuff. Also the bristle star was out of water for 8 hours.

Here's a picture of the tank today. It's not much different. I built a bigger overflow and it is working perfectly. It's a little loud but it is working so that's all that matters. What could I use to keep fish and inverts out of the overflow?

The piece of shrimp I put in to cycle the tank got stuck behind a rock but it should still be fine right?

post-85262-0-50161300-1408557304_thumb.jpg

The shrimp will still do its thing in helping the tank cycle behind the rock. I would place the hammer (after the cycle) someplace that the flow gently tickles its tentacles. They like flow but don't want to be blasted. They are pretty adaptable about light, mine are up in the top third of my tank but they can be lower.

Since you are still cycling, won't it be awhile before you add animals? Once the tank is cycled, go ahead and let the cuc crew have the shrimp, it won't be needed anymore.

Sorry I misunderstood. LOL I have used a sponge for an Aqua Clear filter. You can cut it so it fits inside the overflow. You do have to rinse it regularly so it doesn't clog and inhibit the flow of water over the overflow. It kept my adrenaline junky of a royal gramma from ending up in my sump!

Well it's almost time for me to add the CUC probably another two weeks. I'm really excited!

The clowns I want are still at my LFS. They seem to still be in good health! They are swimming around, no cloudy eyes, torn fins or anything. I'm still quarantining them though.

Then my LFS only has 2 sexy shrimp and I want about 5-7 of them for my tank but I got some pics of them.

The other neat thing I saw today at my LFS, they have a harlequin shrimp there! I wish I had the extra tank to raise some chocolate chip star fish to feed him. post-85262-0-41406200-1409685201_thumb.jpg

post-85262-0-86040700-1409685189_thumb.jpg

post-85262-0-37894700-1409685249_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Tested ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate today for the first time. My tank has been running for almost 6 weeks.

Ammonia 0

Nitrite 0

Nitrate 0 (I believe this is from all the diatoms, hair algae and cyano in my tank.)

I'll be ordering a 5.5 gallon CUC from ReefCleaners Thursday so it'll arrive on Saturday!

I'll probably pick up 1 or 2 blue leg hermit crabs for my refugium. And if the 5.5 gallon CUC doesn't take care of the hair algae and diatoms I'll be buying 1 trochus snail from my LFS.

Hopefully at the same time I'll be able to finally get the clowns I've been watching at my LFS.

I got my CUC today! I just love the small parts of a reef tank!

I ordered my CUC from ReefCleaners and they definitely sent way, WAY more than I ordered.

But here are some pics of them!

post-85262-0-01772600-1411777861_thumb.jpg

post-85262-0-02810800-1411777875_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

I am getting a thicker rimless 11.4 gallon (maybe one of the mr aqua 17 gallons if I save up a little more) soon so I can drill it and not have to be as worried about floods anymore.

Does anyone have a predrilled tank of that size with the plumbing the would like to sell? Or how do I do it myself?

Any and all help would be appreciated. Thanks!

• 4 weeks later...

I'm going to get two 3/4" bulkheads for the drain and one 1/2" bulkhead. One of the drain will be well bellow the water level but tuned down so the water stays above. And then another right above to water line as an emergency drain. Will these both work if they are elbows turned up towards the water surface. I will be drilling on the back glass pane. My return pump is 157gph. Will that work with the drain and all?

Since I am using the 20 gallon I will be getting two clowns, a yasha goby, and Randall shrimp. Will the pistol shrimp be okay with sexy shrimp?

Decided on doing a 3/4" herbie overflow and will upgrade the pump to one that pumps 700-800 gph. I also am about to get my clownfish I ordered the food today.

I am now in the process of setting my QT up. It's more than halfway full! Then I'll mix the salt in there! Tomorrow I'll be going by my LFS to get the clowns!

Archived